Francisco Rivera (fighter)
October 8, 1981 |
Whittier, California, USA
|Residence||Buena Park, California, USA|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight||135 lb (61 kg; 9.6 st)|
|Reach||70.0 in (178 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Buena Park, California, USA|
|Team||United Mixed Martial Arts|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Francisco Rivera Jr. (born October 8, 1981) is an American mixed martial artist. He fights as a bantamweight for the Ultimate Fighting Championship. As of August 17, 2015, he is #12 in the official UFC bantamweight rankings. Rivera is known for his heavy hands and wild fighting style.
Mixed martial arts career
World Extreme Cagefighting
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Rivera was expected to drop to Bantamweight and face Takeya Mizugaki on March 3, 2011 at UFC Live: Sanchez vs. Kampmann. However, Rivera was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by promotional newcomer Reuben Duran.
Return to the UFC
Following two emphatic first round stoppages on the regional circuit, Rivera was re-signed by the UFC to face Alex Soto on May 15, 2012 at UFC on Fuel TV: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier, replacing Azamat Gashimov who was removed from the bout. Rivera won the fight via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).
Rivera faced Roland Delorme on July 21, 2012 at UFC 149. Rivera defeated Delorme via first round KO. However, Rivera later failed his post-fight drug test for an over-the-counter stimulant and the win was overturned to a No Contest.
Rivera was expected to face George Roop on October 19, 2013 at UFC 166. However, the pairing was shifted to November 6, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 31. He won the fight via TKO in the second round.
Rivera faced Urijah Faber on December 6, 2014 at UFC 181. Rivera lost the fight via second round submission. However, the ending was controversial as Faber stunned Rivera with an eyepoke during a standup exchange. The eyepoke went unnoticed by the referee, but immediately preceded the fight ending submission. Rivera's management team indicated that they planned to appeal the result in hopes that it would be changed to a no contest, and hoped that the UFC could schedule a rematch with Faber. Ultimately, the NSAC upheld the result of a submission victory for Faber.
Championships and achievements
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|17 matches||11 wins||5 losses|
|Loss||11–5 (1)||John Lineker||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC 191||September 5, 2015||1||2:08||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||11–4 (1)||Alex Caceres||KO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Boetsch vs. Henderson||June 6, 2015||1||0:21||New Orleans, Louisiana, United States|
|Loss||10–4 (1)||Urijah Faber||Submission (bulldog choke)||UFC 181||December 6, 2014||2||1:34||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||10–3 (1)||Takeya Mizugaki||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 173||May 24, 2014||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||10–2 (1)||George Roop||TKO (punches)||UFC: Fight for the Troops 3||November 6, 2013||2||2:20||Fort Campbell, Kentucky, United States|
|Win||9–2 (1)||Edwin Figueroa||TKO (punches)||UFC 156||February 2, 2013||2||4:20||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|NC||8–2 (1)||Roland Delorme||NC (overturned)||UFC 149||July 21, 2012||1||4:19||Calgary, Alberta, Canada||KO (punches) win overturned; Rivera tested positive for ephedra.|
|Win||8–2||Alex Soto||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier||May 15, 2012||3||5:00||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
|Win||7–2||Antonio Duarte||KO (punches)||Tachi Palace Fights 12||March 9, 2012||1||1:15||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||6–2||Brad McDonald||KO (punches)||Tachi Palace Fights 11||December 2, 2011||1||0:40||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Loss||5–2||Reuben Duran||Submission (rear-naked choke)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Lesnar vs. Team dos Santos Finale||June 4, 2011||3||1:57||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Bantamweight debut.|
|Loss||5–1||Erik Koch||TKO (head kick and punches)||WEC 52||November 11, 2010||1||1:36||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||5–0||Fernando Bernstein||TKO (punches)||Called Out MMA 2||January 24, 2010||1||0:30||Ontario, California, United States|
|Win||4–0||Aaron Arana||Decision (majority)||Called Out MMA 1||August 15, 2009||3||5:00||Ontario, California, United States|
|Win||3–0||Johnny Gomez||Decision (unanimous)||Call To Arms 1||May 16, 2009||3||5:00||Ontario, California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Chris Drumm||KO (punches)||California Xtreme Fighting||October 30, 2008||1||0:46||El Monte, California, United States|
|Win||1–0||Ray Cox||KO (punches)||CXF: Uprising in Upland||June 14, 2008||1||0:52||Upland, California, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Boetsch vs. Henderson". UFC.com. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Francisco Rivera Buena Park Alum". Retrieved 2014.
- "Francisco R. OCC Alum". Retrieved 2014.
- "Erik Koch to Stay on WEC 52 Card, Face Newcomer Francisco Rivera". mmafighting.com. 2010-11-03.
- "UFC and WEC set to merge in 2011; events to air on Versus and Spike TV". mmajunkie.com. October 28, 2010.
- "Takeya Mizugaki Faces Francisco Rivera at UFC on Versus 3 March 3". MMAweekly.com. 2010-12-17.
- "Newcomer Reuben Duran signs on to face Takeya Mizugaki at UFC on Versus 3". mmajunkie.com. February 15, 2011.
- "Reuben Duran vs. Francisco Rivera slotted for The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale". mmajunkie.com. March 12, 2011.
- "Francisco Rivera replaces Azamat Gashimov, faces Alex Soto at UFC on FUEL TV 3". mmajunkie.com. May 1, 2012.
- "UFC on FUEL TV 3 results: Francisco Rivera outpowers Alex Soto, earns decision win". mmajunkie.com. May 5, 2012.
- Martin, Damon (June 6, 2012). "Francisco Rivera vs. Ken Stone Set for UFC on FX 4". mmaweekly.com.
- "Dustin Pague in for injured Francisco Rivera meets Ken Stone at UFC on FX 4". mmajunkie.com. June 15, 2012.
- "Roland Delorme vs. Francisco Rivera slated for UFC 149 in Calgary". mmajunkie.com. June 19, 2012.
- "UFC 149 wins for Riddle, Rivera overturned to no contests after positive drug tests". mmajunkie.com. October 20, 2012.
- "Edwin Figueroa-Francisco Rivera booked for UFC 156 in February". mmajunkie.com. December 12, 2012.
- Tim Burke (2013-02-02). "UFC 156 results: Francisco Rivera stops Edwin Figueroa late in the second round". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2013-02-02.
- Ken Pishna (March 5, 2013). "Francisco Rivera and Hugo Viana Agree to UFC on Fox 7 Bantamweight Battle". mmaweekly.com.
- Matt Erickson (2013-03-22). "T.J. Dillashaw replaces Francisco Rivera, meets Hugo Viana at UFC on FOX 7". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
- Staff (August 4, 2013). "George Roop vs. Francisco Rivera joins stacked UFC 166 lineup". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- Staff (2013-08-23). "Rivera vs. Roop to UFC Fight Night 31". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-08-23.
- Steven Marrocco (2013-11-06). "UFC Fight Night 31 results, photos: Francisco Rivera swarms, stops George Roop". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- Matt Erickson. "Raphael Assuncao meets Francisco Rivera at UFC 170 in Las Vegas". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- "Broken hand knocks Francisco Rivera from UFC 170 fight with Raphael Assuncao". mmajunkie.com. February 3, 2014.
- John Morgan (2014-03-28). "Francisco Rivera steps in to fight Takeya Mizugaki at UFC 173". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-03-28.
- Steven Marrocco (2014-05-24). "UFC 173 results, photos: Takeya Mizugaki tops Francisco Rivera in slugfest". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-05-24.
- Staff (2014-10-15). "Urijah Faber meets Francisco Rivera at UFC 181 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-10-15.
- Tristen Critchfield (2014-12-07). "Urijah Faber wasn’t initially aware eye poke led to victory over Rivera at UFC 181". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-12-07.
- Marc Raimondi (2014-12-07). "Francisco Rivera will appeal submission loss to Urijah Faber due to eye poke". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-12-07.
- Brent Brookhouse (2015-02-17). "NSAC upholds UFC 181's Urijah Faber vs. Francisco Rivera result despite eye-poke". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-02-17.
- Damon Martin (2015-04-14). "Francisco Rivera vs. Alex Caceres joins UFC Fight Night in New Orleans". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2015-04-14.
- Damon Martin (2015-06-06). "Francisco Rivera needs just 21 seconds to finish Alex Caceres". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2015-06-06.
- Staff (2015-07-15). "Demetrious Johnson vs. John Dodson II headlines UFC 191 on September 5 in Las Vegas". themmareport.com. Retrieved 2015-07-15.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-09-05). "UFC 191 results, highlights: John Lineker taps Francisco Rivera in first after crazy slugfest". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-09-05.
- Tristen Critchfield (2015-09-05). "UFC 191 Bonuses: John Lineker, Francisco Rivera garner $50K for wild slugfest". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-09-05.