Francisco Toledo in 2005.
Francisco Benjamin López Toledo|
July 17, 1940
Juchitán, Oaxaca, Mexico
|Known for||Graphic Art|
Francisco Benjamín López Toledo (born July 17, 1940, Juchitán, Oaxaca) is a Mexican painter, sculptor, and graphic artist. He studied at the Escuela de Bellas Artes de Oaxaca and the Centro Superior de Artes Aplicadas del Instituto Nacional de Bellas Artes, Mexico, where he studied graphic arts with Guillermo Silva Santamaria.
His social and cultural concerns about his home state led to his participation in the establishment of an art library at the Instituto de Artes Gráficas de Oaxaca (IAGO), as well as his involvement in the founding of the es:Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Oaxaca (MACO), the Patronato Pro-Defensa y Conservación del Patrimonio Cultural de Oaxaca, a library for the blind, a photographic center, and the Eduardo Mata Music Library. Toledo works in various media, including pottery, sculpture, weaving, graphic arts, and paintings. He has had exhibitions in Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Spain, the United Kingdom, Belgium, France, Japan, Sweden, the United States, as well as other countries.
- Mexican National Prize for Arts and Sciences (Premio Nacional de Ciencias y Artes) (1998)
- Prince Claus Award, Prince Claus Fund (2000)
- Right Livelihood Award (2005)
- "Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History: Venados, 1981." Metropolitan Museum of Art. Accessed 7 April 2014.
- Goodwin, Christopher (29 May 2000). "His name is Francisco Toledo, but everyone calls him El Maestro". the Guardian.
- Goodwin, Christopher (29 May 2000). "His name is Francisco Toledo, but everyone calls him El Maestro". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- Gobierno del Estado de Oaxaca. "Francisco Toledo".
- Ollman, Leah (8 April 2016). "Critic's Choice: Primal lust in the art of Mexican master Francisco Toledo". Los Angeles: Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- Zaken, Ministerie van Algemene. "Laudation address by His Royal Highness The Prince of Orange on behalf of His Royal Highness Prince Claus to the recipients of the Principal 2000 Prince Claus Award at the Royal Palace, Amsterdam, December 12, 2000". www.koninklijkhuis.nl.
- Alumnos amagan con 'tomar' la Universidad de Oaxaca, Jorge Octavio Ochoa, El Universal, 21 September 2006
- Official website
- Biography on Aquí Oaxaca
- Biography on Right Livelihood Award website
- Biography on Widewalls
- Essay by Dore Ashton