Francisco de Borbón y Escasany, 5th Duke of Seville
|The Most Excellent
The Duke of Seville
The Duke of Seville in 2015
16 November 1943 |
|Title||Duke of Seville
Grandee of Spain
|Predecessor||Enriqueta de Borbón y Parade, 4th Duchess of Seville|
|Parents||Francisco de Borbón y Borbón
Enriqueta Escasany y Miguel
Francisco de Paula Enrique de Borbón y Escasany, 5th Duke of Seville, Grandee of Spain (born 16 November 1943), is the current Duke of Seville and a distant relative of the Spanish royal family. He is a businessman and has been involved in banking, real estate and other commercial activities.
He was born in Madrid and is the eldest child of Francisco de Borbón y Borbón (1912–1995), who was the son of Francisco de Borbón y de la Torre and Enriqueta de Borbón y Parade, 4th Duchess of Seville. His mother was Enriqueta Escasany y Miguel (1925–1962), the daughter of Ignacio Escasany y Ancell and Enriqueta de Miguel y Mas, 2nd Marquesa de Pobla de Claramunt.
His paternal grandparents were first cousins, both being grandchildren of Infante Enrique of Spain. The Duke of Seville is a member of the Spanish branch of the House of Bourbon and is a relative of King Felipe VI of Spain, since both of them are male-line descendants of King Charles IV of Spain.
Duke of Seville
Marriages and children
He was married on 7 July 1973 at Baden-Baden to Countess Beatrice von Hardenberg (born 1947), daughter of Count Günther von Hardenberg and his wife, Princess Maria Josepha of Fürstenberg. The couple had three children and divorced in 1989.
They have two daughters and one son:
- Olivia de Borbón y Hardenberg (born 6 April 1974), entrepreneur and PR for jewelry brands
- Cristina de Borbón y Hardenberg (born 2 September 1975), chef and catering service operator
- Francisco de Borbón y Hardenberg (born 21 January 1979), entrepreneur and also appeared on the first season of TLC's reality television series, Secret Princes.
He married for the second time on 19 October 1991 at Vienna to Isabelle Karanitsch (born 1959). They had no children and divorced in 1993. He married for the third time on 2 September 2000 at Marbella to María de los Angeles de Vargas-Zuñiga (born 1958). They have no children together.
The Order of Saint Lazarus
He was elected as the 48th Grand Master of the Order of Saint Lazarus (statuted 1910) (Malta Obedience) on 5 October 1996 in Santa Maria della Passione, Milan, Italy. He succeeded his father, who had been the Grand Master of the Order since 1959. He retired from his position of Grand Master in 2008 and was succeeded by his cousin, Don Carlos Gereda y de Borbón, Marqués de Almazán. The Duke of Seville was then given the title of Grand Master Emeritus.
Titles and styles
- 16 November 1943 – 1968: Don Francisco de Borbón y Escasany
- 1968 – present: The Most Excellent The Duke of Seville
- Grand Master (1996-2008) of the Order of Saint Lazarus (statuted 1910)
- Knight of the Order of the Eagle of Georgia and the Seamless Tunic of Our Lord Jesus Christ
- Consejero Magistral (President) of the Corps of the Asturian Nobility
|Ancestors of Francisco de Borbón y Escasany, 5th Duke of Seville|
Notes and sources
- Profile, Genealogics.org; accessed 18 February 2015.
- Profile, thePeerage.com; accessed 18 February 2015.
- The Royal House of Stuart, London, 1969, 1971, 1976, Addington, A. C., Reference: II 97
- Enache, Nicolas. La Descendance de Marie-Therese de Habsburg. ICC, Paris, 1996. pp. 550-554. (French). ISBN 2-908003-04-X
- Bloomberg profile
- Official website of Crédit des Alpes
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Gräfliche Häuser, Band V. "Hardenberg". C.A. Starke Verlag, 1967, pp. 175-176.
- TLC television show info
Media related to Francisco de Borbon, duke of Seville at Wikimedia Commons
Enriqueta de Borbón y Parade
|Duke of Seville
Olivia de Borbón y Hardenberg
|Titles in pretence|
|Legitimist line of succession
to the French throne
Francisco de Borbón y Hardenberg