|Franco Aldo Parisi Fernández|
Parisi in 2013.
25 August 1967 |
|Spouse(s)||Laura Lee Campbell (1996-2009)
|Parents||Zandra Fernández Ledesma
Antonino Parisi Sepúlveda
|Alma mater||University of Chile|
Franco Aldo Parisi Fernández (born 25 August 1967) is a Chilean business engineer and economist. He received recognition for doing radio and television programs about economy along with his brother Antonino Parisi, and has been nicknamed "the economist of the people". In 2012 he launched his independent candidacy for president for the 2013 elections in Chile. Parisi ideologically identifies himself as a social liberal.
Parisi was born in Santiago de Chile on 25 August 1967. He studied at the Escuela Experimental Salvador Sanfuentes, and completed his secondary studies at the Instituto Nacional. He also briefly studied at Chile's Military Academy. He was later admitted to the career of Business engineering at the University of Chile, and obtained a doctorate in Finances at the University of Georgia.
Parisi served as visiting professor at the Rice University (2002–03), University of Alabama (2000), University of Georgia (1999), and Georgetown University. In Chile, he was a professor at the Faculty of Economy and Businesses of the University of Chile, where he also worked as a vice dean and interim dean in 2010 and was a member of the Group of Monetary Politics (Grupo de Política Monetaria). He candidated for dean in the aforementioned faculty, but lost the election. He also worked at the Andrés Bello National University, where he was appointed dean of the Business Faculty, and, subsequently became the dean of the Chilean Institute for Executive Development (IEDE), organization property of the Laureate International Universities. He resigned the office in July 2012.
In the 1990s, Parisi worked as government advisor in different issues. On 10 June 2010 he was appointed councilor of the Chilean Copper Commission (Cochilco) by president Sebastián Piñera. He left office on 10 June 2012.
During 2011, following a controversy with local retailer La Polar, Parisi made several appearances in Chilean radio and television and his economy phenomena explanations in colloquial terms started to become his trademark. At midyear, Parisi started a TV show called Los Parisi: el poder de la gente (The Parisis: the power of the people), a television program hosted by him and his brother Antonino Parisi. The program was initially broadcast on Vía X, and then in La Red. In March 2012, he advised the leaders of the protests in Aysén.
He announced his presidential pre-candidacy as an independent on 30 January 2012, and called for "independent primaries" against Marco Enríquez-Ominami; however, Enríquez-Ominami declined the proposal. Although some members of the Regionalist Party of the Independents (PRI) wanted the party to support Parisi, the PRI ended up promoting their own candidate, Ricardo Israel. Members of RN requested their directive board "freedom of action" to support Parisi.
In early June 2013, Parisi announced the collection of fifty thousand signatures of people supporting his candidacy, which allowed him to register his candidacy before the Electoral Service of Chile on 7 August 2013.
On 20 October 2013, Alianza presidential candidate Evelyn Matthei Fornet accused Parisi of owing workers of companies he legally represented 100 million pesos (approximately 200,000USD). On the next day, Matthei's campaign brigade (comando) uploaded to her official site a document containing legal documents involving Parisi, and Matthei herself reiterated the accusations against Parisi, stating that the documents demonstrated he owed up to 500 million pesos (approximately one million USD), and so Parisi was "ethically disabled to be a candidate for president." Parisi denied Matthei's accusations and announced a complaint against her before a local court.
- Parisi F., Franco; Parisi F., Antonino; Cornejo, E. (2006). Análisis y gestión de créditos. Ediciones Copygraph.
- Parisi F., Franco; Parisi F., Antonino; Godoy, R. (2001). Corporate Governance in Chile: A Revision. Research in International Business and Finance.
- Parisi F., Franco; Parisi F., Antonino (2004). Teoría de inversiones. Parisi Media. (CD-ROM)
- Parisi F., Franco; Parisi F., Antonino (2004). Estructuras financieras. Parisi Media. (CD-ROM)
- Parisi F., Franco; Parisi F., Antonino (2004). Política y administración de créditos. Parisi Media. (CD-ROM)
- "Certificado de Matrimonio" (JPG). Servicio de Registro Civil e Identificación de Chile. 10 May 2012. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- "Denisse Tarziján Tuchie - Egresada 2002". Red-ICU. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- "Nacimientos". El Mercurio. 18 August 2007. Retrieved 10 May 2012. (subscription required)
- "El Mostrador: El Economista del Pueblo" (in Spanish). El Mostrador. 9 May 2012. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- "Franco Parisi se lanza como precandidato a la Presidencia" (in Spanish). La Segunda. 30 January 2012. Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- "Franco Parisi niega apoyo a políticos tradicionales en posible 2da vuelta presidencial". Radio Bío Bío (in Spanish). 24 November 2012. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- "Franco Parisi". parisiepoderdelagente.cl. Retrieved 10 May 2012.
- "Franco Parisi Fernández" (PDF). FEN. University of Chile. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- "Franco Parisi enciende elecciones de decano para Facultad de Economía de la U. de Chile". Terra. 24 May 2010. Retrieved 10 May 2012.
- "Sus miembros". Grupo de Política Monetaria. University of Chile. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- "Manuel Agosín es el nuevo decano de la Facultad de Economía y Negocios de la Universidad de Chile". Radio U. Chile. 10 June 2010. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- "Parisi entra a escena". La Tercera. 21 July 2012. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- "Exclusivo: la contradicción secreta de Franco Parisi sobre su salida de Cochilco". The Clinic. 28 July 2012. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- "Las dos caras del fenómeno político del momento: Franco Parisi. Analista del PNUD afirma: "Mostrarse desvinculado de los partidos da créditos electorales"". Cambio21. Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- "Via X y el sorpresivo estreno de Los Parisi". Walabi. 28 July 2011. Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- "Los Parisi". La Red. Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- "Los Parisi en Aysén: "Lo que está pidiendo la gente no es abultado, como ha dicho el gobierno"". El Dínamo. 13 March 2012. Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- "Franco Parisi se lanza como precandidato a la Presidencia". La Segunda. 30 January 2012. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- "Franco Parisi le responde a MEO: "Le propuse ir a primarias y me dijo sí"". Meganoticias. 1 February 2012. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- "PRI lanza nuevo sitio web para acercar candidatura independiente de Franco Parisi". El Mostrador. 8 December 2012. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- "RN baja perfil a "descolgados" que apoyan a Franco Parisi". 24 Horas. 26 August 2013. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "Parisi celebró las 50 mil firmas y va por las 70 mil". La Nación. 1 June 2013. Retrieved 3 July 2013.
- "Con 52 mil firmas, Franco Parisi inscribe candidatura presidencial independiente". La Tercera. 7 August 2013. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- Tercer Juzgado de Familia de Santiago, causa rol C-4689-08
- "Evelyn Matthei da giro en campaña y arremete contra Franco Parisi". La Tercera. 21 October 2013. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Documentos Franco Parisi". evelyn2014.cl. 21 October 2013. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Matthei reitera sus críticas y dice que Parisi está inhabilitado éticamente para ser candidato". EMOL. 21 October 2013. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Matthei asegura que la deuda de Parisi por colegios es de 500 millones de pesos". EMOL. 21 October 2013. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Parisi anuncia querella contra Matthei tras acusaciones de deuda con trabajadores". EMOL. 21 October 2013. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Franco Parisi.|
- Official candidacy website (Spanish)