Francois Van Coke
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Francois Van Coke|
Francois van Coke
|Birth name||Francois Badenhorst|
|Also known as||Francois Van Coke|
September 18, 1980|
Brakpan, Gauteng, South Africa
A Guy Called Gerald
New World Inside
Van Coke Kartel
Francois Badenhorst (born in Brakpan, Gauteng, South Africa), better known by his stage name Francois Van Coke, rose to fame as the iconic front man of legendary South African rock bands Fokofpolisiekar and Van Coke Kartel. On the 8 April 2015, Francois launched his self-titled debut solo album and kicked his solo career into gear with the release of the most poignant ballad of that year - Toe Vind Ek Jou featuring Karen Zoid. It was the first Afrikaans album and single to simultaneously jump to number 1 positions on the SA iTunes Store. The song was downloaded more than 20,000 times on iTunes, thus achieving Platinum status as a single. The music video for “Toe Vind Ek Jou” was viewed over a million times within 6 month and was announced as the biggest Afrikaans music video of 2015.
Van Coke has always had an affinity for music. Moving to Boston, Bellville, Western Cape in early childhood where he grew up, he participated in high school in a battle of the bands competition where he performed the vocals for the band. He was later kicked out of the band, which put him off performing vocals for a while. Van Coke's strong Christian upbringing (his father was a pastor) led him to create the Christian band AS180. Van Coke established himself in the Bellville underground music scene by forming the band "A Guy Called Gerald", which later changed its name to "New World Inside". Van Coke then co founded the rock band Fokofpolisiekar. The band was initially started as a joke to shock the widely conservative Afrikaans community. Van Coke recalls that, "My mom cried for a day or two when she heard the name of the band". After initial performances his father asked him to change his surname from "Badenhorst" to "Van Coke", as his father, being a minister, was receiving complaints about his son's performances from the local church-going community.
Best of 2017 Accolades
- Jacaranda FM – the biggest songs of 2017
- Texx and the City – Top 10 music videos
- 2Oceansvibe Radio – Best of 2017 – Top 20 songs
- Western Cape Bokkies 2017: Award for Male singer of the year.
FRANCOIS VAN COKE – DEBUT ALBUM 2015
- GHOEMA Awards for: Most Popular Song of the Year – “Toe vind ek jou”
- Rock Album of the Year, Best Song of the Year – “Toe vind ek jou”
- Digital Album of the Year, Digital song of the year – “Toe vind ek jou”.
- The CD was on the Top 20 Best Sellers list in South Africa for at least 12 weeks and also on the Top 30 for 2015.
- Apple Music and iTunes announced Francois’ solo album as Best Afrikaans Album of 2015.
- OFM Golden Note – Local Song of the Year: “Toe vind ek jou”
- Silver Pendoring - Craft: “Toe vind ek jou” musiekvideo
- Flowerday, Wayde. "Interview: Francois Van Coke". Music Review. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- "Die grootste Afrikaanse musiekvideo's van 2015". www.netwerk24.com. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
- "The biggest songs of 2017". Jacaranda FM. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
- "Top 10 Music Videos Of 2017 - Texx and the City". texxandthecity.com. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
- "#BestOf2017 – Top 20 Songs Of 2017 – 2oceansvibe Radio - online streaming radio from Cape Town, South Africa. Tune in to the holiday". www.2oceansviberadio.com. Retrieved 2018-04-13.