|P. a. cranchii
Queen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda
Range and status
The red-necked spurfowl breeds across the central belt of Africa and down the east coast to South Africa. Widespread and common throughout its large range, the red-necked spurfowl is evaluated as Least Concern on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.
It is 25–38 cm in length, with a significant size difference between the subspecies, of which there are some seven or eight. It is a generally dark francolin, brown above and black-streaked grey or white underparts. The bill, bare facial skin, neck and legs are bright red.
The red-necked spurfowl is a wary species, keeping to deep cover, although it sometimes feeds in open scrub or cultivation if disturbance is limited and there are thickets nearby. The nest is a bare scrape, and three to nine eggs are laid.
- P. a. cranchii (Leach, 1818) – Lake Victoria basin southwards to Zambia, the Angolan interior & northern Malawi
- P. a. leucoparaeus (G.A.Fischer & Reichenow, 1884) – southeastern Kenya
- P. a. harterti Reichenow, 1909 – Rwanda, Burundi to northern Tanzania
- P. a. loangwae C.H.B.Grant & Mackworth-Praed, 1934 – eastern Zambia & Malawi
- P. a. melanogaster Neumann, 1898 – Tanzania & Zambia to northern Mozambique
- P. a. swynnertoni W.L.Sclater, 1921 – eastern Zimbabwe & central Mozambique
- P. a. afer (Statius Müller, 1776) – western Angola & northwestern Namibia
- P. a. lehmanni Roberts, 1931 – Limpopo and Mpumalanga, South Africa
- P. a. castaneiventer Gunning & Roberts, 1911 – eastern South Africa
- P. a. notatus Roberts, 1924 – Western Cape, South Africa
- McGowan, P.J.K.; Kirwan, G.M. (2013). "Red-necked Francolin (Pternistis afer)". Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive. Lynx Edicions, Barcelona. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- Chittenden, H.; et al. (2012). Roberts geographic variation of southern African birds. Cape Town: JVBBF. pp. 40–41. ISBN 978-1-920602-00-0.
- BirdLife International (2004). "Francolinus afer". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2006. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 11 May 2006.
- Pheasants, Partridges and Grouse by Madge and McGowan, ISBN 0-7136-3966-0
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Francolinus afer.|
- (Red-necked spurfowl = ) Red-necked francolin - Species text in The Atlas of Southern African Birds
- BirdLife Species Factsheet
- IUCN Red List