|Main ingredients||Almonds or almond flavouring, butter, sugar, eggs|
On Epiphany, the French cut the King Cake, a round cake made of frangipane layers into slices to be distributed by a child known as le petit roi (the little king) who is usually hiding under the dining table. The cake is decorated with stars, a crown, flowers and a special bean hidden inside the cake. Whoever gets the piece of the frangipane cake with the bean is crowned “king” or “queen” for the following year.
- Kitchen Dictionary Retrieved 14 May 2013
- Frangipane recipes at BBC Food Retrieved 14 May 2013
- Frangipane at BBC Good Food Retrieved 24 May 2013
- Mary Berry’s Christmas recipes: Mincemeat Frangipane Tart at Telegraph UK Food and Drink Retrieved 14 May 2013
- "frangipane | Definition of frangipane in English by Oxford Dictionaries". Oxford Dictionaries | English. Retrieved 2019-03-21.
- "Frangipane." Oxford Companion to Food (1999), 316.