|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010)|
|Product type||Hot sauce|
Frank's RedHot's recipe dates to 1896 to the Frank Tea and Spice Company in Cincinnati, Ohio. In 1918, owner Jacob Frank contracted for the Estilette Pepper Farm in Louisiana where Adam Estilette and Frank became business partners. The two men mixed spices, vinegar, garlic and cayenne peppers and allowed them to age, and created the original blend of Frank's RedHot as it first appeared on the market in 1920.
It is known as the primary ingredient in the first buffalo wing sauce, concocted in 1964 by Teressa Bellissimo at the Anchor Bar and Grill in Buffalo, New York. It is also used in Wish-Bone's new Buffalo Ranch dressing.
The company produces flavors based on the original recipe:
- Frank's Original RedHot Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce
- Frank's RedHot XTRA Hot Sauce
- Frank's RedHot Buffalo Sandwich Sauce
- Frank's RedHot Chile n Lime Hot Sauce
- Frank's RedHot Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce
- Frank's RedHot Kickin' BBQ Sauce
- Frank's RedHot Caesar Spicer
- Frank's RedHot Gold Fever Zing Sauce (Foodservice Only)
- Frank's RedHot Sweet Chili Sauce
- Frank's RedHot Thick Sauce
- Frank's RedHot Slammin' Sriracha Chili Sauce
Frank's RedHot is known for its national television ad campaign depicting a mischievous elderly woman named Ethel, explaining her recipes for various foods. Usually in front of a prestigious figure (e.g., the Queen), she will quip "I put that s*** on everything", much to the disdain of those around her. The expletive is always censored with a bleep, and Ethel's mouth is covered with a censoring "splat". The Ethel character is played by Jean Hamilton, a native of North Vancouver, British Columbia.
- "Frank's RedHot and Wings Have History". Frank's RedHot. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- Elliott, Stuart (29 January 2012). "Rival Hot Sauce Makers in a Duel for Attention". The New York Times. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- Scalza, Remy (July 18, 2012). "Vancouver Celebrity: Little Old Lady From Frank's RedHot Sauce Ads". Inside Vancouver. Retrieved 16 August 2014.