Frank A. James III
Frank A. James III
Frank Allison James III
1953 (age 67–68)
|Spouse(s)||Carolyn Custis James|
|Doctoral advisor||Alister McGrath|
Frank Allison James III (born 1953) is an American theologian and academic administrator. He is the president of Missio Seminary in Hatfield, Pennsylvania. He formerly served as Provost and Professor of Historical Theology at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary. His expertise is Reformation history, focusing especially on the life and thought of Peter Martyr Vermigli. He has authored and edited several books.
Frank James received his BA from Texas Tech University and an MA at Westminster Theological Seminary. He also has received two doctorates. The first was a Doctor of Philosophy degree from the University of Oxford under the supervision of Alister McGrath. The second was from Westminster Theological Seminary.
Frank James has taught at several universities and seminaries. During his doctoral research he taught at Villanova and Westmont College. After his DPhil research, he became Professor of Historical Theology at Reformed Theological Seminary in Orlando, where he also served as President from 2004 to 2009. He is also one of the founding members of the Reformation Commentary on Scripture (with Intervarsity Press).
- James, Frank A. (1993). Praedestinatio Dei: The Intellectual Origins of Peter Martyr Vermigli's Doctrine of Double Predestination (DPhil thesis). Oxford: University of Oxford. OCLC 863417355.
- James, Frank A. (2000). De Iustificatione: The Evolution of Peter Martyr Vermigli's Doctrine of Justification (PhD thesis). Glenside, Pennsylvania: Westminster Theological Seminary. OCLC 45482432.
- ——— (1998). Peter Martyr Vermigli and Predestination: The Augustinian Inheritance of an Italian Reformer. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- ———; Oberman, Heiko A., eds. (1991). Via Augustini: Augustine in the later Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Reformation: Essays in Honor of Damasus Trapp, O.S.A. Studies in Medieval and Reformation Thought. 48. Leiden, Netherlands: E. J. Brill. ISBN 978-90-04-09364-5.
- ———; Oberman, Heiko A., eds. (2004). Peter Martyr Vermigli and the European Reformations: Semper Reformanda. Studies in the History of Christian Traditions. 115. Leiden, Netherlands: E. J. Brill. ISBN 978-90-04-13914-5.
- Schlegel, Bradley (June 30, 2013). "Biblical Seminary in Hatfield Borough transitioning to new president". The Reporter. Retrieved 2019-02-20.
- "Dr. Frank A. James, III". Reformed Theological Seminary. 2007-10-19. Archived from the original on October 19, 2007. Retrieved 2019-02-20.
- "Reformation Commentary on Scripture Editors - InterVarsity Press". Ivpress.com. Retrieved 2012-02-16.