Britannia Yacht Club stairwell features photo of Frank Amyot and trophies
|Birth name||Francis Amyot|
September 14, 1904|
|Died||November 21, 1962
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg)|
|Club||Britannia Yacht Club|
|Achievements and titles|
Amyot won Canada's only gold medal at the 1936 Summer Olympics in the C-1 1000m canoeing event. This proved embarrassing to Canadian officials who had refused to pay his way. In 1936, Britannia Boating Club raised money for Frank Amyot's Olympic Fund campaign. When he won the 1000 meter championship in the 1936 Olympic Games, Frank Amyot of BYC raced the Canadian canoe, which is different from the type of canoe he had raced in Canadian Canoe Association meets. Although he had seen blueprints, Amyot paddled the Canadian canoe for the first time during the final training stages in Germany. On July 18, 1942, Lieutenant Frank Amyot attended a meeting of 17 Britannia Boating Club members, in army and civilian war jobs during World War II, at Holborn Restaurant in London, England.
When his body was examined by medical personnel during an autopsy, they found cancer all over his body, which they believe is the cause of his death.
In 1964, the Britannia Yacht Club presented the Frank Amyot Memorial Trophy awarded to Junior Men C-15 Canoe Kayak Canada Canadian Sprint Canoe Kayak Championships, in loving memory of Frank Amyot, a life member of the club, Olympic Single Blade Singles C-1 Gold Medallist (1936), and distinguished member of Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame.
In 2012, the Britannia Yacht Club stairwell featured a display with a photo of Frank Amyot and a collection of his trophies
- "Frank Amyot". sports-reference.com. Sports Reference. Archived from the original on 21 November 2015. Retrieved 12 September 2015.
- https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ObQuAAAAIBAJ&sjid=jNoFAAAAIBAJ&dq=britannia-boating-club&pg=1189%2C1407850 Britannia Boating Club paddler Frank Amiot gives Dominion First Win (1000 meter paddling) at Berlin Ottawa Citizen Aug 10, 1936
- https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ObQuAAAAIBAJ&sjid=jNoFAAAAIBAJ&dq=britannia-boating-club&pg=1189%2C1407850 Ottawa Citizen Aug 10, 1936
- https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ObQuAAAAIBAJ&sjid=jNoFAAAAIBAJ&dq=britannia-boating-club&pg=1189%2C1407850 Britannia Boating Club paddler Frank Amiot is Ottawa's Olympic Champion Ottawa Citizen Aug 10, 1936
- https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=xG0uAAAAIBAJ&sjid=U9oFAAAAIBAJ&dq=britannia-boating-club&pg=2923%2C1843008 Britannia Boating Club Ottawa Citizen, Jun 2, 1936
- Type of Canoe was Strange to Amyot Ottawa Citizen 1936
- http://veterans.gc.ca/eng/collections/virtualmem/photoview/2059152/123932 London meeting of 17 Britannia Boating Club members during WWII
- Canoe Kayak Canada trophies Canadian Sprint Canoe Kayak Championships
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Frank Amyot.|
- Frank Amyot Canadian Encyclopedia
- Wallechinsky, David and Jaime Loucky (2008). "Canoeing: Men's Canadian Singles 1000 Meters". In The Complete Book of the Olympics: 2008 Edition. london: Aurum Press Limited. p. 479.