Frank Budgen (director)
|Education||Manchester Metropolitan University|
|Occupation||Commercial director, Copywriter|
|Notable work||Tag, Mountain|
Frank Budgen is a British commercial director and co-founder of Gorgeous Enterprises, a London-based film production company. He was voted as the Directors Guild of America commercial director of the year in 2007. His notable works include Tag and Mountain.
After taking an art course at Manchester Metropolitan University, Budgen found a copywriting job at BBDO, a worldwide advertising agency network. From there Budgen worked for M&C Saatchi and then for Boase Massimi Pollitt as a copywriter and a creative director. He wrote and directed his first advertisement for John Smith's Brewery under Boase Massimi Pollitt. Budgen left his creative director post at Boase Massimi Pollitt in 1992 to join the Paul Weiland Film Company. Under Paul Weiland's ownership, Budgen shot advertising campaigns for Orange U.K., 95.8 Capital FM, and Holsten Brewery. In 1997, Budgen co-founded Gorgeous Enterprises, an award-winning film production company.
In 2001, Budgen directed Tag, a television advertisement launched by Nike, Inc. to promote its sportswear in the United States. Tag won the Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival Grand Prix in 2002, an award considered to be the most prestigious in the advertising industry. In 2003, Budgen directed Mountain, a television advertisement launched by Sony Corporation to promote the PlayStation 2. The filming of Mountain involved the work of 50 stuntmen and acrobats, as well as 500 extras per day. Mountain was the second most awarded commercial of 2004, winning the 2004 Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival Grand Prix, multiple British Television Advertising Awards, British Television Craft Awards, and Advertising Creative Circle Awards.
- Dutta, Kunal (25 April 2008). "Can creatives direct?". Campaign. Retrieved 7 August 2010.
- "Frank Budgen". Shoot Online. 28 March 2008. Retrieved 7 August 2010.
- Lavallee, Eric (13 December 2007). "Sundance Institute Announces 13 film projects for January Screenwriters Lab". Ion Cinema. Retrieved 7 August 2010.
- "Who is the best commercials director working today? Frank Budgen. Which is the best production company? Gorgeous Enterprises". Creative Review. 22 September 2004. Retrieved 7 August 2010.
- "Third time lucky for Gorgeous at BTACA". Creative Review. 1 December 2002. Retrieved 7 August 2010.
- "Nike's 'tag' wins Cannes Grand Prix". Brand Republic News (Cannes, France). 24 June 2002. Retrieved 7 August 2010.
- Wunderlich, Stanley (22 June 2009). "Bark Copenhagen Nominated for Prestigious Cannes Lions Advertising Award". Reuters. Retrieved 7 August 2010.
- Herzog, Boaz (12 February 2003). "Nike Will Receive Honor at Cannes Lions Advertising Festival". Knight Ridder Tribune. Retrieved 7 August 2010.
- The Mill Publicity (20 May 2004). "The Mill Builds a People Mountain for Playstation". CGSociety. Retrieved 7 August 2010.
- Anderson, Mae (15 November 2004). "DDB Wins Most Awards in 2004". Adweek. Retrieved 7 August 2010.
- The Mill Publicity (28 June 2004). ""Mountain" Commercial Made With Massive Winds Canne's Lion Grand Prix". Massive. Retrieved 7 August 2010.