Frank E. Holmes
Frank E. Holmes is chief executive and chief investment officer at U.S. Global Investors, which specializes in natural resources and emerging markets investing. U.S. Global, based in San Antonio, Texas, is the adviser to nine U.S. mutual funds and two exchange-traded funds (ETFs), the U.S. Global Jets ETF (JETS) and U.S. Global GO GOLD and Precious Metal Miners ETF (GOAU).
Holmes is co-author of the book The Goldwatcher: Demystifying Gold Investing (2008: John Wiley & Sons). He has written investment articles for investment-focused publications, and is a regular contributor to a number of investor-education websites and he maintains an investment blog, "Frank Talk".
He is a regular commentator on the business television channels CNBC, Bloomberg Television, Fox Business Channel and CNN's Your Money, and he has been profiled by Barron's, Fortune, the Financial Times and other publications.
Holmes was named 2006 Mining Fund Manager of the Year by The Mining Journal, a London-based publication for the global natural resources industry, and 2009 International Citizen of the Year by the World Affairs Councils of America chapter in San Antonio. He is also a frequent keynote speaker at U.S. and international investment conferences.
As chief investment officer at U.S. Global, Holmes oversees an investment team whose mutual funds have won more than two dozen Lipper Fund Awards and certificates since 2000.
Holmes is engaged in several philanthropies. He is a member of the President's Circle of the International Crisis Group, which works to avoid and resolve conflict around the world, and he is an advisor to the William J. Clinton Foundation on sustainable development in countries with natural resource-based economies. He serves on the board of trustees of Rise Recovery, a San Antonio-based organization that helps teens and families overcome addiction to drugs and alcohol.
Holmes is a native of Toronto and is a graduate of the University of Western Ontario with a bachelor's degree in economics. He is a former president and chairman of the Toronto Society of the Investment Dealers Association.
"Don't try to get rich with gold because the corresponding risk is too high. Gold is a volatile asset whose daily price action can be far more dramatic than blue-chip stocks and many other asset classes"
"In bull markets, the old saying goes, a rising tide lifts all boats. In a falling market, those same boats often end up as shipwrecks."
- "Where The Growth is: Infrastructure". Financial Planning. May 2008. Retrieved March 4, 2009.
- "The Picks of a Natural Resources Whiz". Barrons.com. March 17, 2008. Retrieved March 4, 2009.
- "The Commodities Gusher". Fortune. May 16, 2005. Retrieved February 24, 2009.
- "A heart of gold gives portfolios a natural edge". The Financial Times. January 10, 2005. Retrieved February 24, 2009.
- "U.S. Global CEO Frank Holmes named world's top mining fund manager". San Antonio Business Journal. December 4, 2006. Retrieved February 24, 2009.
- "Annual Benefit". World Affairs Council of San Antonio.
- "S.A. Investment CEO Was Key in Socially Responsible Initiative". San Antonio Express-News. June 28, 2007. Retrieved February 24, 2009.
- "U.S. Global Investors Announces Strategic Investment in HIVE Blockchain Technologies Ltd. with Frank Holmes Becoming Chairman of Board". U.S. Global Investors. September 2017. Retrieved June 18, 2018.
- Katz, John & Holmes, Frank. 'The Goldwatcher: Demystifying Gold Investing. Wiley.
- "Commodities Bouncing Back in 2009". Seeking Alpha. February 28, 2009. Retrieved March 4, 2009.