Edgar in 2010
|Born||Frank James Edgar
October 16, 1981
Toms River, New Jersey, United States
|Other names||The Answer aka The Rocky Balboa of MMA|
|Height||5 ft 6 in (1.68 m)|
|Weight||145 lb (66 kg; 10 st 5 lb)|
|Reach||68.0 in (173 cm)|
|Style||Wrestling, Boxing, BJJ|
|Fighting out of||Toms River, New Jersey, U.S.|
|Team||Ricardo Almeida BJJ
KHK MMA Team 
|Trainer||Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Ricardo Almeida, Renzo Gracie
Boxing: Mark Henry
Wrestling: Steve Rivera
Muay Thai: Kru Phil Nurse
|Rank||Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Ricardo AlmeidaBlack belt in|
|Wrestling||NCAA Division I Wrestling|
|Years active||2005 – present (MMA)|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|University||Clarion University of Pennsylvania|
|Notable school(s)||Toms River High School East|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Frank James "Frankie" Edgar (born October 16, 1981) is an American mixed martial artist from New Jersey who competes as a Featherweight in the Ultimate Fighting Championship and is a former UFC Lightweight Champion. He holds notable victories over former world champions Sean Sherk, Hermes França, B.J. Penn (x3), Urijah Faber and top featherweight contender Chad Mendes. As of March 14, 2016, Edgar is ranked as the #2 featherweight in official UFC rankings.
Born and raised in Toms River, New Jersey by Frank and Mary Annese, Frankie Edgar wrestled at Toms River High School East, making it to the New Jersey state championship tournament on three occasions, placing second as a junior and fifth as a senior. Edgar is the oldest of 3 children, Edgar went on to compete in the NHSCA Senior Nationals and placed second before he finished high school. He continued wrestling at Clarion University of Pennsylvania, where he qualified for the nationals all four years there. Edgar is also an assistant coach for the Rutgers University wrestling team. Frankie is mostly of Italian descent with his mother being Italian, and he also has some German ancestry from his biological father's side, which is reflected in his non-Italian surname.
Mixed martial arts career
Edgar entered his first mixed martial arts fight with only a few weeks of training outside of his wrestling background. Edgar originally trained with Rob Guarino of Rhino Fight Team, but today he is part of the Gracie system under Ricardo Almeida in Hamilton, NJ, who is part of the Gracie Barra team. Since seventh grade Edgar has wrestled with Steve Rivera at Elite Wrestling NJ in Jackson, NJ. His boxing trainer is Mark Henry of Millstone, NJ.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Edgar amassed a 5–0 record before trying out for season five of The Ultimate Fighter. Edgar tried out in front of Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) president Dana White and matchmaker Joe Silva, but was not selected to be on the show. However, a month later the UFC contacted Edgar and asked if he would accept a fight with fellow undefeated fighter Tyson Griffin at UFC 67. Griffin caught Edgar in a deep kneebar at the end of the fight, but Edgar refused to tap and lasted out the remainder of the round to win by unanimous decision. The fight has been frequently rebroadcast on UFC Unleashed.
Edgar suffered his first loss at UFC Fight Night 13 against Gray Maynard. This fight marked the first bout of a series. Maynard used his size and wrestling skill to overpower Edgar en route to a unanimous decision. Edgar rebounded with another Fight of the Night victory against Hermes França at UFC: Silva vs. Irvin. Edgar then defeated former UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk, outworking him all three rounds to earn the unanimous decision victory over the stronger and heavier fighter.
Edgar was expected to face Kurt Pellegrino on December 5, 2009 on The Ultimate Fighter 10 finale, but Pellegrino was forced to withdraw due to an injury. Matt Veach was named as Pellegrino's replacement, moving up from an undercard bout.  After being on the defensive for most of the first round, Edgar became the aggressor in the second round by punishing Veach with strikes, Ultimately knocking Veach down with a straight right, Edgar then proceeded to take Veach's back and finishing him with a rear naked choke at 2:22 into the second round.
UFC Lightweight Champion
At UFC 112, Edgar was matched against lightweight champion BJ Penn. After a long, back-and-forth, predominantly standing fight, the judges' scorecards were called on for a decision. The scores were 50–45, 49–46 and 48–47, all for Edgar. The unanimous decision win awarded him the UFC Lightweight Championship. 8 of 9 media outlets scored the bout in favor of Penn.
On June 24, 2010, ESPN announced Edgar as a nominee for Best Upset of the Year at the 2010 ESPY Awards.
The bout at UFC 112 was deemed close enough that Edgar's first title defense took the form of a UFC 118 rematch against Penn on August 28, 2010. Edgar defeated Penn via unanimous decision to retain the UFC Lightweight Championship, this time with no controversy after taking Penn down multiple times and out-striking him throughout all five rounds. All three judges scored the bout 50–45 for Edgar, making him the second fighter to defeat Penn in the lightweight division  (the other being Jens Pulver), and the second fighter ever to beat Penn twice (the other being Georges St-Pierre).
Edgar's next title defense was against Gray Maynard, the only man to have defeated Edgar, in a rematch from UFC Fight Night: Florian vs. Lauzon. Maynard earned the #1 contender spot at UFC 118 with a win over Kenny Florian. The bout took place on January 1, 2011 at UFC 125, with the fight ending in a draw (judges scorecards: 48–46 Maynard, 48–46 Edgar, 47–47). In the first round of the bout, Maynard dropped Edgar multiple times, but Edgar would survive. His fight with Maynard marks the third time in UFC history that a championship fight ended as a draw.
During the UFC 125 post-fight press conference, it was announced that Edgar's next opponent would be Anthony Pettis, the final World Extreme Cagefighting lightweight champion. However, less than two hours later UFC president Dana White announced a change of plans. Edgar was then scheduled to fight Gray Maynard for the third time at UFC 130. Dana White confirmed on May 9, 2011 that both Edgar and Maynard had sustained injuries and that their bout was pulled from event. The fight was re-scheduled as the main event of UFC 136. After a similar first round to their bout at UFC 125, Edgar won via KO at 3:54 of round 4, earning Knockout of the Night honors.
Edgar faced Benson Henderson on February 26, 2012 at UFC 144. Henderson defeated Edgar via unanimous decision to become the new UFC Lightweight Champion. Both participants earned Fight of the Night honors for their performance.
Move to featherweight division
On the August 21, 2012 edition of UFC Tonight, it was revealed that Frankie Edgar had announced his intentions to move to the featherweight division.
Edgar was briefly linked to a December 2012 bout with Ricardo Lamas, but it was scrapped after Edgar replaced the injured Erik Koch to face champion José Aldo on October 13, 2012 at UFC 153 On September 11, Aldo pulled out of the match with a foot injury.
The bout with Aldo was rescheduled for UFC 156, where Edgar lost to Aldo via unanimous decision (46-49, 46-49, 47-48). Both men earned Fight of the Night honors for their performances.
Edgar faced Charles Oliveira on July 6, 2013 at UFC 162 in his first non-title bout since 2009. Edgar won via unanimous decision snapping his three fight losing streak. Both fighters received Fight of the Night honors.
On September 11, 2013, the UFC announced during UFC Tonight, that Edgar would coach against former two-time opponent, B.J. Penn for the 19th season of The Ultimate Fighter. The season aired on Fox Sports 1, and the two coaches faced each other for the third time on July 6, 2014 at The Ultimate Fighter 19 Finale. Edgar won the one-sided bout by TKO in the third round.
Edgar next faced Cub Swanson on November 22, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 57. Edgar dominated the fight and finished Swanson in the fifth round via submission with only 4 seconds left in the fight. The win also earned Edgar his first Performance of the Night bonus award.
A long speculated "superfight" with former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber took place on May 16, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 66. After speculation as to what weight class the bout was to be contested, either featherweight, bantamweight or at a catchweight of somewhere in between, it was announced that the bout would be contested at featherweight. Edgar won the fight via unanimous decision.
Edgar faced Chad Mendes on December 11, 2015 at The Ultimate Fighter 22 Finale. Edgar won the fight by knockout in the first round. The win also earned Edgar his second Performance of the Night bonus award.
Edgar and his wife, Renee, were married ten days after UFC Fight Night 13. The couple have two sons— Francesco, born in January 2009, and Santino James, born in May 2010. They also have one daughter— Valentina, born in June 2014.
Edgar was a featured fighter on True Life: I'm a Mixed Martial Artist leading up to his first fight with Maynard. Edgar appears in all three "UFC Undisputed" video games (2009, 2010, UFC Undisputed 3) and also EA Sports UFC and EA Sports UFC 2.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- World MMA Awards
- Fight of the Year (2011) vs. Gray Maynard on January 1
- Reality Fighting
- Reality Fighting Lightweight Championship (One time)
- ESPY Award
- Best Upset ESPY Award – Nomination (2010)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|26 matches||20 wins||5 losses|
|Loss||20–5–1||José Aldo||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 200||July 9, 2016||5||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||For the interim UFC Featherweight Championship.|
|Win||20–4–1||Chad Mendes||KO (punch)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team McGregor vs. Team Faber Finale||December 11, 2015||1||2:28||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||19–4–1||Urijah Faber||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Edgar vs. Faber||May 16, 2015||5||5:00||Pasay, Philippines|
|Win||18–4–1||Cub Swanson||Submission (neck crank)||UFC Fight Night: Edgar vs. Swanson||November 22, 2014||5||4:56||Austin, Texas, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||17–4–1||B.J. Penn||TKO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Edgar vs. Team Penn Finale||July 6, 2014||3||4:16||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||16–4–1||Charles Oliveira||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 162||July 6, 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||15–4–1||José Aldo||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 156||February 2, 2013||5||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||For the UFC Featherweight Championship. Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||15–3–1||Benson Henderson||Decision (split)||UFC 150||August 11, 2012||5||5:00||Denver, Colorado, United States||For the UFC Lightweight Championship.|
|Loss||15–2–1||Benson Henderson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 144||February 26, 2012||5||5:00||Saitama, Japan||Lost the UFC Lightweight Championship. Fight of the Night.|
|Win||15–1–1||Gray Maynard||KO (punches)||UFC 136||October 8, 2011||4||3:54||Houston, Texas, United States||Defended the UFC Lightweight Championship. Knockout of the Night.|
|Draw||14–1–1||Gray Maynard||Draw (split)||UFC 125||January 1, 2011||5||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Retained the UFC Lightweight Championship. Fight of the Night.|
|Win||14–1||B.J. Penn||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 118||August 28, 2010||5||5:00||Boston, Massachusetts, United States||Defended the UFC Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||13–1||B.J. Penn||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 112||April 10, 2010||5||5:00||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates||Won the UFC Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||12–1||Matt Veach||Submission (rear-naked choke)||The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights Finale||December 5, 2009||2||2:22||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||11–1||Sean Sherk||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 98||May 23, 2009||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||10–1||Hermes França||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Silva vs. Irvin||July 19, 2008||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||9–1||Gray Maynard||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Florian vs. Lauzon||April 2, 2008||3||5:00||Broomfield, Colorado, United States|
|Win||9–0||Spencer Fisher||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 78||November 17, 2007||2||4:30||Newark, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||8–0||Mark Bocek||TKO (punches)||UFC 73||July 7, 2007||1||4:55||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||7–0||Tyson Griffin||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 67||February 3, 2007||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||6–0||Jim Miller||Decision (unanimous)||Reality Fighting 14||November 18, 2006||3||5:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Won the Reality Fighting Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||5–0||Deividas Taurosevičius||Decision (unanimous)||RF 13: Battle at the Beach||August 5, 2006||3||5:00||Wildwood, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||4–0||Steve McCabe||Submission (guillotine choke)||Ring of Combat 10||April 14, 2006||1||2:37||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||3–0||Jay Isip||Technical Submission (rear-naked choke)||SportFighting 2||December 10, 2005||1||3:26||Hoboken, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||2–0||Mark Getto||TKO (punches)||Ring of Combat 9||October 29, 2005||1||4:21||Asbury Park, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||1–0||Eric Uresk||TKO (punches)||UCL: Underground Combat League||July 10, 2005||1||3:38||The Bronx, New York, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Edgar vs. Swanson". UFC.com. Retrieved November 23, 2014.
- Jesse Holland (December 9, 2013). "Pic: Frankie Edgar Earns Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt From Ricardo Almeida". MMAmania.com.
- "Frankie Edgar - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved November 23, 2014.
- "Fighter Rankings". UFC.com.
- Fight Magazine "All in the Family"
- Feitl, Steve. "BACK TO HIS ROOTS: Frank Edgar part of fight card in UFC's return to New Jersey"
- https://web.archive.org/20090216124327/http://frankedgar.com:80/node/2. Archived from the original on February 16, 2009. Retrieved May 24, 2009. Missing or empty
- Adept Mobile. "The Frankie Edgar Diet". Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- Steve Rivera's Elite Wrestling NJ – Youth & High School Wrestling Training for all Levels. Elitewrestling.net. Retrieved on 2012-03-08.
- "Q&A With Frankie Edgar". Bumpyknuckle.com. November 30, 2009. Retrieved 2010-05-11.
- "Frankie Edgar vs. Kurt Pellegrino likely for The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale". MMAjunkie.com. September 10, 2009.
- "Kurt Pellegrino injured, forced out of The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale bout with Frankie Edgar". MMAjunkie.com. October 30, 2009.
- "Matt Veach in to face Edgar at TUF 10 Finale". MMAWeekly.com. October 30, 2009.
- "Ultimate Fighter 10 Results". MMAWeekly.com. December 5, 2009.
- Non, Sergio (April 10, 2010). "UFC 112 upset: Edgar answers riddle of Penn, takes lightweight belt". USATODAY.com.
- "MMA Decisions - Edgar def. Penn:". mmadecisions.com. March 12, 2016.
- Ariel Helwani. "Georges St-Pierre, Frankie Edgar Nominated for ESPY Awards".
- Nick Thomas. "BJ Penn signs bout agreement to fight Frankie Edgar UFC 118 coverage". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- "Edgar beats BJ Penn again, silences doubters at UFC 118". USA Today. August 29, 2010.
- Pugmire, Lance (August 28, 2010). "Randy Couture wins battle of MMA vs. boxing; Frankie Edgar retains UFC title". Los Angeles Times.
- BJ "The Prodigy" Penn – Official UFC® Fighter Profile. Ufc.com. Retrieved on 2012-03-08.
- John Morgan. "Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard next; UFC boss says contest is marketable".
- John Morgan (January 2, 2011). "UFC boss has change of heart, Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard III up next". MMAJunkie.com.
- "Dana White Confirms Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard III at UFC 130". MMAFighting.com. January 14, 2011.
- Chiappetta, Mike (May 9, 2011). "Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard off UFC 130". MMAFighting.com. Retrieved July 1, 2011.
- Helwani, Ariel (July 15, 2011). "Frankie Edgar, Gray Maynard Agree to Meet for a Third Time at UFC 136". MMAFighting.com. Retrieved July 15, 2011.
- "UFC Results" (PDF). Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. October 8, 2011. Retrieved February 25, 2012.
- "UFC champ Frankie Edgar faces Ben Henderson at February's UFC Japan event". mmajunkie.com. November 12, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2011.
- Michael David Smith (2012-02-26). "UFC 144 Results: Ben Henderson beats Frankie Edgar". mmafighting.com.
- Gene Mrosko (2012-02-26). "UFC 144 bonuses and awards for 'Edgar vs Henderson' in Japan". mmamania.com.
- "Benson Henderson vs. Frankie Edgar II official for UFC 150 in Denver". mmajunkie.com. May 8, 2012.
- "UFC 150 Results: Benson Henderson Takes the Decision Over Frankie Edgar". mmafighting.com. Aug 12, 2012.
- MMAjunkie.com Staff (August 21, 2012). "Report: Frankie Edgar heading to featherweight". mmajunkie.com.
- "Ricardo Lamas Accepted Bout With Frankie Edgar Several Weeks Ago". fightline.com. September 5, 2012. Retrieved September 5, 2012.
- "Frankie Edgar replaces Erik Koch, meets champ Jose Aldo at UFC 153". mmajunkie.com. August 31, 2012. Retrieved August 31, 2012.
- Morgan; Erickson (2012-09-11). "Injury knocks Jose Aldo out of UFC 153 featherweight title main event with Frankie Edgar". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-09-11.
- Franklin McNeil (March 28, 2013). "Edgar to fight Oliveira at UFC 162". espn.go.com. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- Dave Doyle (September 11, 2013). "B.J. Penn, Frankie Edgar to coach The Ultimate Fighter 19, fight at featherweight". mmafighting.com.
- Staff (March 19, 2014). "Frankie Edgar-B.J. Penn headline TUF 19 Finale card July 6 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved March 19, 2014.
- Staff (July 6, 2014). "Edgar destroys Penn in Ultimate Fighter finale". staradvertiser.com. Retrieved July 6, 2014.
- Mike Dyce (2014-09-24). "Cub Swanson to fight Frankie Edgar in main event of UFC Fight Night in Austin". fansided.com. Retrieved 2014-09-24.
- Jamie Penick (2014-11-23). "UFC Fight Night 57 Results: Frankie Edgar scores latest stoppage in UFC history in dominant win over Cub Swanson". mmatorch.com. Retrieved 2014-11-23.
- Staff (2014-11-23). "UFC Fight Night Austin Bonuses: Edgar, Oleinik, VanZant, Curran Get $50K Awards". sherdog.com.
- LeeLi (2015-02-11). "UFC Manila gets a Superfight: Frankie Edgar vs Urijah Faber set for the 1st Philippines card". mma-in-asia.com. Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- Anton Tabuena (2015-02-11). "Urijah Faber vs. Frankie Edgar set as UFC: Manila headliner". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- Mike Bohn and MAjunkie Staff (2015-02-11). "Urijah Faber returns to 145, meets Frankie Edgar at UFC Fight Night 66 in Philippines". mmajunkie.com.
- Dave Doyle (2015-05-16). "UFC Fight Night 66 results: Frankie Edgar defeats Urijah Faber for fourth straight win". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-05-16.
- Lucas Rezende (2015-08-25). "Frankie Edgar vs. Chad Mendes to headline TUF 22 Finale". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-12-12). "TUF 22 Finale results: Frankie Edgar lands first-round knockout bomb on Chad Mendes". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-12-12.
- Tristen Critchfield (2015-12-11). "‘TUF 22’ Finale bonuses: Tony Ferguson earns $100K for wild win over Edson Barboza". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-12-11.
- Thomas Myers (2016-03-13). "UFC 200: Jose Aldo vs Frankie Edgar 2 rematch set". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2016-03-30.
- Dave Doyle (2016-07-09). "UFC 200 results: Jose Aldo outpoints Frankie Edgar, claims interim featherweight crown". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "Congratulations Renee and Frankie Edgar!". RicardoAlmeida.com. January 18, 2009.
- "UFC LW Champ Frank Edgar has a baby boy". SHERDOG.com. May 25, 2010.
- "The Ultimate Fighter: Frankie Edgar ratchets up focus on B.J. Penn after wife gives birth". nj.com. June 18, 2014.
- Marrapese-Burrell, Nancy. "Winning combination: Edgar preps for lightweight title defense by adding boxing to repertoire", The Boston Globe, August 28, 2010. Accessed February 18, 2011.
- "True Life Update: The Fight Continues For MTV's Mixed Martial Artists". Remotecontrol.MTV.com. October 24, 2008.
- "Second Team". Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- "Sherdog.com’s 2014 All-Violence Team". Sherdog. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- "2012 fight of the year: Henderson-Edgar I". ESPN.com. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
|4th UFC Lightweight Champion
April 10, 2010 – February 26, 2012