|25th Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church|
Griswold preaching in 2007
|Predecessor||Edmond L. Browning|
|Successor||Katharine Jefferts Schori|
|Other posts||Bishop of Chicago (1987–1998)|
by John Allin
|Born||September 18, 1937|
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Early life and education
Griswold was born in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. He was educated at St Paul's School in Concord, New Hampshire, and earned a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in English literature from Harvard College (1959). He attended the General Theological Seminary and also earned another Bachelor of Arts degree in theology (subsequently converted to Master of Arts) at Oriel College, Oxford University (1962, 1966).
Griswold was ordained priest in 1963 and then served at three parishes in Pennsylvania, including St Andrew's Church in Yardley, Pennsylvania, and St Martin-in-the-Fields in Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, from 1976 until his nomination as Bishop of Chicago, a position he held from 1987 until he became the presiding bishop in 1998.
Griswold was co-chair of the Anglican-Roman Catholic International Commission from 1998 to 2003. He was a member of the standing committee for the 1998 Lambeth Conference. He has also served on diocesan, national and international committees for liturgy, worship and ecumenism. He is interested in interfaith dialogue and currently sits on the Board of World Religious Leaders for the Elijah Interfaith Institute.
Griswold's term as presiding bishop ended on November 1, 2006. He was succeeded by Katharine Jefferts Schori, the first woman to become a primate in the Anglican Communion. He continues a ministry of teaching, preaching, writing, lecturing and leading retreats, nationally and internationally. Since he completed his term as presiding bishop he has served as a visiting professor at seminaries and universities in South Korea, Cuba and Japan, as well as at the Episcopal Divinity School and the Church Divinity School of the Pacific, Virginia Theological Seminary and Seabury-Western. He also serves as bishop visitor to the Society of St. John the Evangelist. His books include Going Home (Cowley Publications Cloister Book) Praying our Days: A guide and companion (Church Publishing Group) Tracking Down the Holy Ghost: reflections on love and longing (Church Publishing Group)
Griswold and his wife, Phoebe Griswold, live in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He is the father of author Eliza Griswold. He is a cousin of both Sheldon M. Griswold and Alexander Viets Griswold, both Episcopal bishops.
He has received honorary degrees from the General Theological Seminary, Seabury-Western Theological Seminary, Nashotah House, Sewanee, Rikkyo University and Berkeley Divinity School, the Virginia Theological Seminary, Seminary of the Southwest and Episcopal Divinity School. He was also made an Associate Sub Prelate of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem by Queen Elizabeth II in 1997.
- John M. Allin, 23rd Presiding Bishop
- Francis G. Burrill, 8th Bishop of Chicago
- James W. Montgomery, 9th Bishop of Chicago
- List of presiding bishops of the Episcopal Church in the United States of America
- List of Episcopal bishops of the United States
- Historical list of the Episcopal bishops of the United States
- Prichard, Robert W.; Pub Co, Morehouse (1999). A history of the Episcopal Church. Harrisburg, PA: Morehouse Pub. p. 343. ISBN 0-8192-1828-6.
- Webber, Christopher (2004). Give us grace: an anthology of Anglican prayers. Harrisburg, PA: Morehouse Pub. p. 445. ISBN 0-8192-1962-2.
- "Ramallah school shut down: (Frank) Griswold files complaint". Anglican Journal. 1 February 2002. Retrieved 2018-06-24.
- Archived August 8, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Doyle, C. Andrew (March 8, 2008). "Why Elect A Young Bishop?". texasbishop.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2018-06-24.
- The Elijah Interfaith Institute - Christian Members of the Board of World Religious Leaders
- "The Sunday Forum: Critical Issues in the Light of Faith". Washington National Cathedral. 2011-01-23. Retrieved 2015-03-11.
- Michael Toy (September 29, 2014). "Eliza Griswold – The Tenth Parallel". Trinity Church Website. Trinity Church, Princeton, NJ. Retrieved 2015-03-11.
- "No. 54940". The London Gazette. 6 November 1997. p. 12485.
- episcopalchurch.org List of Presiding Bishops
|Episcopal Church (USA) titles|
James W. Montgomery
| Bishop of Chicago
Edmond L. Browning
| Presiding Bishop
Katharine Jefferts Schori