Mantooth attended University of North Texas College of Music, graduating in 1969, then played in and arranged for the Air Force Academy Falconaires from 1969 to 1973. He spent the rest of the 1970s living in Austria, where he published big band and small ensemble arrangements.
After his return to the U.S. in 1980, Mantooth worked extensively as a pedagogue, arranger, and publisher in addition to performance. He taught at DePaul University and recorded with Phil Wilson, Ashley Alexander, and Kirsten Gustafson. He wrote music for Louie Bellson, Art Farmer, and Carla Helmbrecht among others. He died in 2004 from a heart attack, aged 56.
- Our First with Wayne Darling (Fontana Records, 197?)
- Suite Tooth (Optimism Records, 1987)
- Sophisticated Lady (Sea Breeze, 1995)
- Miracle (Sea Breeze, 1999)
- Ladies Sing for Lovers (MCG Jazz, 2005)
As arranger and pianist
- Dangerous Precedent (Sea Breeze Records 1993)
- Per-Se-Vere (initially released by Optimism Records 1987 | released by Sea Breeze 2005)
- Directors: Alan Shinn; Bob Lark
- Personnel: Frank Mantooth (piano, keyboards); Clark Terry (vocals, trumpet, flugelhorn); Steve Erquiaga (guitar); Jerry DiMuzio (flute, clarinet, baritone saxophone); Jim Massoth (flute, soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone); Bill Sears (flute, alto saxophone); Ed Petersen (flute, tenor saxophone); Howie Smith (saxophone, soprano saxophone, alto saxophone); Pete Christlieb (tenor saxophone); Mike Steinel (trumpet, flugelhorn); Tom Garling (trombone); Terry Connell, Danny Barber, Bobby Shew (trumpet); Scott Bentall, Mark Bettcher, Steve Wiest (trombone); Mike Young (bass trombone); Matt Harris (keyboards); Bob Bowman (acoustic bass); Curt Bley (electric bass); Steve Houghton (drums); Alejo Poveda (percussion).
- Producer: Frank Mantooth; Fred Breitberg
- Engineer: Fred Breitberg
- White Pontiac
- Mean to Me
- Slow Dancin'
- Fly Me to the Moon
- Darn That Dream
- Soon It's Gonna Rain
- Voicings For Jazz Keyboard
- 1969 — Bachelor of Music, University of North Texas College of Music
- 1977 — Advanced Degree in Piano, Hochschule für Musik, Vienna