Frank Mitchell (presenter)
24 July 1960 (age 59)
|Other names||Uncle Frank|
Frank Mitchell (born Francis McClory, 24 July 1960) is a broadcaster and journalist from Northern Ireland. He is currently a weather presenter on UTV Live and a presenter on the radio station U105.
Mitchell, whose parents ran an electrical shop (McClory & Sherry) in Warrenpoint, began his broadcasting career at the age of 17 at pirate radio station Carousel in Dundalk. He later worked as a BBC radio producer for the Walter Love show Day by Day and presented the early morning weekday show and Saturday lunchtime shows on Downtown Radio before he joined Ulster Television in 1987 as a continuity announcer and newsreader. He has presented a range of popular TV shows including UTV Life, School Around The Corner, End to End and Ultimate Ulster. His U105 Radio phone-in has become one of the most exciting in Ireland with a fast moving range of topics guided by his sharp questions and equally sharp wit.
Mitchell remained on the announcing staff until 1993 when he became the station's chief weather presenter and news programme features reporter.
Mitchell also co-hosted and reported for UTV's GAA discussion series End to End between 2001 and 2004. Mitchell presented the entertainment series School Around the Corner from 1996 to 2005, Ultimate Ulster in 2007 to 2009 and the weekday magazine show UTV Life between 1999 and 2009. His Ultimate Ulster programme featuring an array of top tens in the locality was recently the most watched regional programme in the UK. He is very well known as the UTV weatherman famous for his weather watching camera, crazy clues, weather watchers and charming presentation style. Late in 2016 he began using new ITV graphics on the new look UTV Live
Mitchell is the host of the popular radio mid morning phone-in on the highly successful U105.8FM which broadcasts from the UTV HQ in Belfast. He has broadcast on U105, in the 09.00–12.00 slot, since September 2006.
Gaelic Football career
- "; dated 20 December 1998, accessed 16 June 2008
- WebArchive: Frank Mitchell's profile on u.tv; accessed 5 April 2009
- Frank Mitchell's profile on U105 Archived 4 January 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- Sunday Mirror: "Right Good Read: Frank Mitchell"; dated 1 November 1998, retrieved 10 January 2008.
- Belfast Telegraph: "Frank exchange", belfasttelegraph.co.uk; dated 6 December 2006; retrieved 10 January 2008.
- Frank Mitchell profile, ContinuityBooth.co.uk (archived); accessed 9 May 2014.
- UTV Press Office: UTV launches new GAA magazine programme; dated 18 June 2001, retrieved 10 January 2008
- BFI Film and TV Database: Frank Mitchell filmography; accessed 15 June 2008.
- UTV Press Office: "What's your Ultimate Ulster?"; dated 16 July 2007, retrieved 18 June 2008
- Belfast Telegraph: "Frank returns to his first love": dated 8 September 2006; accessed 6 February 2009.
- Newry Memoirs: "Burren’s Favourite Son Praises “An Ideal Place""; accessed 2 May 2009.
- GlobalGateway: Celebrity Profiles Archived 11 July 2007 at the Wayback Machine, globalgateway.com; retrieved 10 January 2008