Frank N. Pieke
Frank Nikolaas Pieke (born 23 September 1957 in Amsterdam) is a Dutch cultural anthropologist and expert on modern China. Since August 2018, he serves as director and CEO of the Mercator Institute for China Studies (MERICS) in Berlin.
Frank N. Pieke studied cultural anthropology and Chinese studies at the University of Amsterdam and the University of California, Berkeley, where he received his PhD in cultural anthropology in 1992.
From 1995 to 2010, Pieke taught Modern Politics and Society of China at St Cross College, University of Oxford. He was the founding director of the Oxford China Centre from 2007 to 2010. In 2010 he was appointed as the chair professor of Modern China Studies at Leiden University in the Netherlands. From 2016 to 2017, he served as academic director of the Leiden University Institute of Area Studies. He was also the director of the LeidenAsiaCentre from 2013 to 2018.
On May 24, 2018, Stiftung Mercator announced that Frank N. Pieke would become the new director of the MERICS in Berlin. Pieke assumed his position on August 1, 2018. Pieke promoted a Europeanization process at MERICS.
- Frank N. Pieke at the Mercator Institute for China Studies
- Frank N. Pieke at Leiden University
- Frank N. Pieke at "Immigrants in China" project
- Publications by Frank N. Pieke at WorldCat
- "Frank N. Pieke - CV" (PDF). Leiden University. January 2016. Retrieved 2018-10-08.
- "Frank N. Pieke - CV" (PDF). National University of Singapore. 20 August 2013. Retrieved 2018-10-08.
- "Frank Pieke". Leiden University. Retrieved 2018-10-08.
- "Change at the helm of the Mercator Institute for China Studies". Stiftung Mercator. 24 May 2018. Retrieved 2018-10-08.
- "The path to a European perspective on China". Mercator Institute for China Studies. Retrieved 2018-10-08.
- "Frank N. Pieke: "Xi Jinping will find it harder than expected to secure a third term"". Mercator Institute for China Studies (Podcast). 10 September 2018. Retrieved 2018-10-08.