- As of 07:54, Friday, March 24, 2017 (UTC)
Francis O’Dea, OC (born 1945 in Montreal) is a Canadian entrepreneur, humanitarian and author. He left a lifestyle of homeless panhandling and in 1975 co-founded the Second Cup chain of coffee stores with Tom Culligan. He is currently the Chair of YP-IT Data and is Chair of the Development Committee of CUSO International. He regularly speaks professionally on the subjects of his personal and business life.
He was involved with the founding of Proshred Holdings Ltd. an international document destruction service (1986) and Samaritan Air Service, a regional air ambulance service (1989).
O'Dea became founding President of Renascent Treatment Foundation, (1983), founded Street Kids International, with Peter Dagleish, (1988), and the Canadian Landmine Foundation (1999). with support from many international dignitaries and Rotary International in Canada, he initiated the international charity, Night of a Thousand Dinners (2000), which resulted in 11,000 people sitting down to fundraising dinners in 29 countries all on the same night.
O'Dea has been Chief Executive Officer of Arxx Corporation, the once largest manufacturer and installer of Insulated Concrete Forms in North America. Mr. O'Dea served as Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of Arxx Corporation (alternate name, Arxx Building Products Inc.) positions he held for more than 20 years. He currently is Chairman of the Board of Bauen Capital S.A. ("Grupo Bauen") a Canadian/Brazilian asset management firm which acquired the Latin American asset division of Arxx Corporation technologies. Frank currently serves as Chairman of Arxx Brasil S.A. the Brazilian corporation that produces and commercializes Arxx ICF (Insulated Concrete Forms) as well as offering high performance solutions for green building and civil construction.
Awards and recognition
- 1991: Ontario Volunteer award
- 2004: Officer of the Order of Canada
- 2005: Life Board Member Renascent Treatment Foundation
- 2005: Doctor of Laws degree, Royal Roads University
- 2008: Doctor of Laws degree, Carleton Convocation
- 2007: When All You Have is Hope (Penguin Canada) ISBN 978-0-670-06427-4
- 2013 Do The Next Right Thing: Surviving Life's Crises (Penguin Canada) ISBN 9780670065875
- Order of Canada citation: Frank O'Dea
- Frank O'Dea Interview on The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulos
- Bauen Capital S.A.
- ARXX Brasil S.A.
|This biography about a Canadian businessperson is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|