Frank Colvin Senn (born April 22, 1943, Buffalo, New York) is an American pastor and liturgist of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. He served as pastor of Immanuel Lutheran Church in Evanston, Illinois from 1990 to 2013.
Senn has served five congregations and taught at the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago (1978–81) and as an adjunct or visiting professor at the University of Chicago Divinity School (1981–83), the University of Notre Dame, Concordia University Chicago, Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary, Trinity Theological College in Singapore, Satya Wacana Christian University in Central Java, Indonesia, Trinity School for Ministry, and Carey Theological College in Vancouver.
Senn has a Ph.D. in liturgical studies from the University of Notre Dame. His work centers on the history and renewal of Christian liturgy and ecumenicism. Early in his career he served on several Lutheran liturgical committees and contributed to the work on the Lutheran Book of Worship (1978). He was especially active in Lutheran-Episcopal Dialogue in the U.S.A. Senn is a past president of the North American Academy of Liturgy, a past president of The Liturgical Conference, and the past Senior of the Society of the Holy Trinity.
As of 2016, Senn has authored thirteen books. His magnum opus is Christian Liturgy---Catholic and Evangelical (1997), which is a history of Christian liturgy whose center of gravity is the Reformation period. He has been especially interested in liturgy and culture and liturgy in social history. His most recent project in 2016, Embodied Liturgy: Lessons in Christian Ritual, grew out of a course he taught in Indonesia and focuses on the use of the body in liturgy and worship.
- The Pastor as Worship Leader, Augsburg, 1977. ISBN 0-8066-1593-1
- Christian Worship and Its Cultural Setting, Fortress, 1982.
- (Editor) Protestant Spiritual Traditions, Paulist Press, 1985.
- (Editor) New Eucharistic Prayers, Paulist Press, 1987. ISBN 0-8091-2912-4
- The Witness of the Worshiping Community: Liturgy and the Practice of Evangelism, Paulist Press, 1993. ISBN 0-8091-3368-7
- (Co-author with Mark Olson and Jann Fullenwieder) How Does Worship Evangelize?, Augsburg Fortress, 1995.
- Braaten, Carl E.; Jenson, Robert W., eds. (1996). The Catholicity of the Reformation. William B Eerdmans. ISBN 978-0802842206. Contributor.
- Christian Liturgy: Catholic and Evangelical, Fortress Press, 1997. ISBN 0-8006-2726-1
- New Proclamation: Year B, 1999-2000, Fortress Press, 1999-2000. ISBN 0-8006-4241-4
- A Stewardship of the Mysteries, Paulist Press, 1999. ISBN 0-8091-3821-2
- New Creation: A Liturgical World View, Augsburg, 2000. ISBN 0-8006-3235-4
- The People's Work: A Social History of the Liturgy. Fortress Press, 2006. ISBN 0-8006-3827-1
- Lutheran Identity: A Classical Understanding. Augsburg Fortress, 2008. ISBN 0-8066-8010-5
- Introduction to Christian Liturgy (Fortress Press, 2012). ISBN 9780800698850
- Embodied Liturgy: Lessons in Christian Ritual (Fortress Press, 2016). ISBN 978-1-4514-9627-7
- Contemporary Authors Online, Gale, 2002.
|This biography of an American theology academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Christian theologian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|