1 December 1975 |
|Alma mater||Mbarara University
(BSc with Diploma in Education)
(MSc International Studies)
|Occupation||Educator & Politician|
|Years active||2000 — present|
Presidential Affairs & KCCA
Frank Kagyigyi Tumwebaze is a Ugandan educator and politician. He has served in the Cabinet of Uganda as Minister for the Presidency and Minister for Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA) since 2012. He is also the elected Member of Parliament for Kibale County in Kamwenge District, on the National Resistance Movement (NRM) political party ticket.
Background and education
He was born in Kamwenge District on 1 December 1975, to Matayo Kagyigyi and Beatrice Kagyigyi. He is the fifth-born in a family of seven siblings. He attended Jinja College for his A-Level education. He holds the degree of Bachelor of Science with Education (BSc/Ed), obtained in 1999, from Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST). He also holds the degree of Masters in International and Diplomatic Studies (MSc), obtained in 2005, from Makerere University, the oldest university in Uganda, founded in 1922.
Beginning in 2000 until 2001, he served as a Customs Officer with the Uganda Revenue Authority. In 2001, he was appointed Deputy Resident District Commissioner and was posted to Iganga District, serving in that capacity until 2003. He was then brought into State House, where he served as a Special Presidential Assistant for Research and Information, from 2003 until 2005. In 2006, he entered elective politics by contesting the parliamentary constituency of Kibale County in Kamwenge District. He was elected on the National Resistance Movement political party ticket. In 2011, he was re-elected. In a cabinet reshuffle on 15 August 2012, he was appointed as Minister for the Presidency. He replaced Kabakumba Masiko, who resigned from government on 14 December 2011, following allegations of "abuse of office", "theft by taking", "causing monetary loss to the government" and "conspiracy to defraud government".
He has the following additional parliamentary responsibilities:
- Chairperson of the Committee on Finance, Planning and Economic Development
- Member of the Committee on Rules, Discipline and Privileges
- POU, . (2011). "Profile of Tumwebaza Kagyigyi Frank, Member of Parliament for Kibale County, Kamwenge District". Parliament of Uganda (POU). Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- Kasyate, Simon (15 December 2013). "Frank Tumwebaze’s Long Walk To Stardom - Interview". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- Butagira, Tabu (15 August 2012). "Museveni Reshuffles Cabinet, Makes Marginal Changes". Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- New Vision, . (15 August 2012). "Full Uganda Cabinet List As of 15 August 2012". Facebook.com. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- Imaka, Isaac (12 December 2011). "Minister Kabakumba Ordered To Resign". Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- Masiko, Kabakumba (16 December 2011). "To Err Is Human, Kabakumba Says - Her Resignation Speech". Daily Monitor (Kampala).
- Newvision Reporters, . "Kabakumba Masiko Resigns". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 14 December 2011.