Vogel at Celebrity Waiter Night at a Ruth's Chris Steak House in Indianapolis, June 25, 2012
June 21, 1973 |
|High school||Wildwood (Wildwood, New Jersey)|
|2001–2004||Boston Celtics (assistant)|
|2004–2005||Philadelphia 76ers (assistant)|
|2007–2011||Indiana Pacers (assistant)|
|Career highlights and awards|
Frank Paul Vogel (born June 21, 1973) is the head coach for the Indiana Pacers of the NBA. Vogel previously served as a scout for both the Los Angeles Lakers and Washington Wizards, and was an assistant coach for the Philadelphia 76ers and Boston Celtics.
Vogel grew up in Wildwood Crest, New Jersey. During his eighth grade year, he was featured in an episode of Late Night with David Letterman during the Stupid Human Tricks segment, in which he spun a basketball on a toothbrush while brushing his teeth. Vogel graduated from Wildwood High School in 1991. At Juniata College in Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, Vogel was a starter for the Division III basketball team. In 1994, Vogel transferred to the University of Kentucky. Vogel served as student manager for the Kentucky Wildcats men's basketball team then coached by Rick Pitino in the 1994–95 season. The following season, Pitino resurrected the junior varsity Kentucky basketball team and Vogel played for them. Vogel graduated from Kentucky with a B.S. in biology in 1998.
Vogel began his career as the head video coordinator for the Boston Celtics under head coach Rick Pitino. He retained that position for five years before being promoted to assistant coach. After coaching with Boston, Vogel went on to become an assistant for the Philadelphia 76ers. Vogel left the 76ers to become an advance scout for the Los Angeles Lakers from 2005–2006 and the Washington Wizards from 2006-2007. Vogel then became an assistant for the Indiana Pacers under former Celtics colleague Jim O'Brien. In 2011, after O'Brien was fired from his head coaching position, Vogel was named interim coach. As interim coach, Vogel led the Pacers to the playoffs for the first time since 2006. Vogel was officially named as the Pacers' head coach on July 6, 2011.
Shortly before the Indiana Pacers were to take on the Miami Heat in the 2012 Eastern Conference semifinals, Vogel criticized his opponents for alleged flopping: "They are the biggest flopping team in the NBA. It'll be very interesting (to see) how the referees officiate the series and how much flopping they reward... Every drive to the basket, they have guys not making a play on the ball, but sliding in front of drivers. Oftentimes they're falling down even before contact is even being made. It'll be interesting to see how the series is officiated." He was fined $15,000 by the league for these remarks.
On April 7, 2013, the Pacers clinched their first Central Division title since the 2003–04 season. They finished the 2012–13 season with a 49–32 record, clinching the third seed in the Eastern Conference. After defeating both the Atlanta Hawks and the New York Knicks in 6 games, the Pacers went on to face the Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference Finals. In Game 1, the Pacers were defeated by the Heat 103–102 in overtime after LeBron James drove by Paul George for a wide-open layup with 2.2 seconds left on the clock. Vogel was roundly criticized for leaving the Pacers' primary defender, Roy Hibbert, on the bench during the final play. Vogel said that he made that decision out of concern of Chris Bosh and acknowledged that he might do it differently next time. The Pacers were later eliminated after losing the series in 7 games.
On January 14, 2014, Vogel was named the Eastern Conference head coach for 2014 NBA All-Star Game.
On October 8, 2014, Vogel signed a multi-year contract extension with the Indiana Pacers. He is the franchise's all-time leader in NBA wins, and trails only Bobby "Slick" Leonard for total victories as a head coach.
Head coaching record
|Regular season||G||Games coached||W||Games won||L||Games lost||W–L %||Win-loss %|
|Post season||PG||Playoff games||PW||Playoff wins||PL||Playoff losses||PW–L %||Playoff win-loss %|
|Indiana||2010–11||38||20||18||.526||2nd in Central||5||1||4||.200||Lost in First Round|
|Indiana||2011–12||66||42||24||.636||2nd in Central||11||6||5||.545||Lost in Conf. Semifinals|
|Indiana||2012–13||81||49||32||.605||1st in Central||19||11||8||.579||Lost in Conf. Finals|
|Indiana||2013–14||82||56||26||.683||1st in Central||19||10||9||.526||Lost in Conf. Finals|
|Indiana||2014–15||82||38||44||.463||3rd in Central||–||Missed Playoffs|
- "Basketball Staff" (PDF). NBA. Retrieved May 27, 2013.
- "December 1998 Degree Candidates." Agenda, Meeting of the Board of Trustees, University of Kentucky. December 8, 1998, p. 56.
- Krolik, John (May 16, 2013). "Frank Vogel spun a basketball on a toothbrush on television 25 years ago". NBC Sports. Archived from the original on May 18, 2011. Retrieved May 18, 2011.
- "Wildwood High School graduate Frank Vogel promoted to interim head coach of Indiana Pacers". Press of Atlantic City. January 30, 2011. Archived from the original on June 15, 2013. Retrieved January 31, 2011.
- Allan, Marc; Allan, Martha (February 6, 2012). "2012 Forty Under 40: Frank P. Vogel". Indianapolis Business Journal. pp. 24B. Archived from the original on October 7, 2013. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- Ramsey, Guy (July 22, 2011). "Where are they now: Pacers coach credits UK basketball for opening NBA doors". Cat Scratches. Kentucky Wildcats. Archived from the original on January 4, 2012.
- "Frank Vogel". NBA. Archived from the original on October 27, 2001. Retrieved January 31, 2011.
- "Pacers relieve O'Brien of coaching duties". NBA.com. January 30, 2011. Archived from the original on February 1, 2011. Retrieved January 30, 2011.
- "Pacers hire Frank Vogel as coach". Associated Press (ESPN.com). July 7, 2011. Archived from the original on February 1, 2011.
- Haberstroh, Tom (May 11, 2012). "Frank Vogel: Heat love to flop". ESPN.com. Retrieved May 11, 2012.
- "Pacers Coach Frank Vogel Fined $15,000 For Comments About Heat Flopping". Sports Illustrated. Time Warner Company. May 12, 2012. Archived from the original on May 15, 2013. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- "LeBron James' layup as time expires in OT lifts Heat past Pacers". ESPN.com. May 22, 2013. Archived from the original on May 23, 2013. Retrieved June 4, 2013.
- "Roy Hibbert shakes his head at Frank Vogel's coaching decisions". sbnation.com. May 23, 2013. Archived from the original on September 14, 2013. Retrieved June 4, 2013.
- "Indiana’s Frank Vogel Earns Spot as Eastern Conference Head Coach for 2014 NBA All-Star Game". NBA.com. January 14, 2014. Archived from the original on January 15, 2014. Retrieved January 15, 2014.
- Vogel Signed to Contract Extension