Frank W. J. Olver
|Frank William John Olver|
Frank W. J. Olver, 2001
December 15, 1924|
|Died||April 23, 2013
Rockville, Maryland, U.S.
|Institutions||University of Maryland, National Institute of Standards and Technology|
|Alma mater||University of London|
|Doctoral students||Daniel W. Lozier|
|Known for||editor in chief of the NIST Digital Library of Mathematical Functions|
|Notable awards||Gold Medal of the US Department of Commerce|
Frank William John Olver (December 15, 1924 – April 23, 2013) was an emeritus professor of mathematics at the Institute for Physical Science and Technology and Department of Mathematics at the University of Maryland who worked on asymptotic analysis, special functions, and numerical analysis. He was the editor in chief of the NIST Digital Library of Mathematical Functions.
1969• Silver Medal of the US Department of Commerce.
1974• A Fellow of the U.K. Institute of Mathematics and its Applications
2011• Gold Medal of the US Department of Commerce.
Visiting Fellow, or Professor, at the University of Lancaster, U.K., Imperial College, London University, U.K., Cambridge University, U.K., the Royal Irish Academy, and the National University of Australia
- Olver, Frank W. J. (1997) , Asymptotics and special functions, AKP Classics, Wellesley, MA: A K Peters Ltd., ISBN 978-1-56881-069-0, MR 1429619
- Olver, Frank W. J. (2000), Selected papers of F. W. J. Olver. Part I, II, World Scientific Series in 20th Century Mathematics 7, River Edge, NJ: World Scientific Publishing Co. Inc., ISBN 978-981-02-4106-3, MR 1759688
- Olver, Frank W. J.; Lozier, Daniel W.; Boisvert, Ronald F.; et al., eds. (2010), NIST Handbook of Mathematical Functions, Cambridge University Press, ISBN 978-0-521-19225-5, MR 2723248
- Wong, R. K., ed. (1990), Asymptotic and computational analysis. Proceedings of the International Symposium held in honor of Frank W. J. Olver's 65th birthday, Winnipeg, Manitoba, June 1989, Lecture Notes in Pure and Applied Mathematics 124, New York: Marcel Dekker Inc., ISBN 978-0-8247-8347-1, MR 1052426
- Frank W. J. Olver. SIAM News obituary by Roderick Wong
- Frank W. J. Olver, mathematician, an obituary in The Washington Post
- Home page of Frank W. J. Olver
- Frank W. J. Olver at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- NIST Digital Library of Mathematical Functions