This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Activities within the firm
He has been a member of the firm's Executive Committee. He practices business law with an emphasis on franchising, licensing, intellectual property, marketing and distribution law and is head of the firm’s National Franchise & Distribution Law Group. His practice focuses on advising franchisers, franchisee associations and others involved in franchising on all aspects of Canadian franchise legal matters.
He has served as Chair of the Supplier Forum of the International Franchise Association, and is the past General Counsel of the Canadian Franchise Association. In 1989, Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP received the Canadian Franchise Association's Special Recognition Award "in recognition of outstanding support and contribution to the Association and the franchising community", and at its annual general meeting in 2000, the Board of Directors of the Canadian Franchise Association presented a Special Award of Appreciation to Frank "for dedication and commitment as CFA’s Secretary/General Counsel 1993-1999."
Acknowledgment as lawyer
He has been listed as one of the leading franchise law practitioners in every published edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, the Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada.
In the 2005 and 2006 editions of Who's Who Legal Frank was ranked as one of the most highly regarded franchise lawyers in the world, and as the most highly nominated practitioner outside of the United States.
In the 2006 edition of the Lexpert Legal Directory he was ranked as the most frequently recommended franchise lawyer in Canada and Osler was ranked as one of the most consistently recommended major full service law firms in franchising.
In May, 2009 the Canadian Franchise Association honoured Frank with the CFA's Lifetime Achievement Award which is presented "to an individual who has achieved excellence throughout their career in franchising."
Canada Commercial Law Strategy Project
In 2002 he was appointed a Co-Chair of the Uniform Law Conference of Canada Commercial Law Strategy project on a uniform franchise law. This project was completed in August, 2005 with the adoption of a Uniform Franchises Act and Regulations to serve as a model franchise law for all of the provinces and territories of Canada.
- Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B. (Honours), 1971)
- University of Toronto (B.A.Sc. Chemical Engineering, 1968)
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Forum on Franchising)
- International Bar Association (Franchising Committee)
- Canadian Franchise Association (Past General Counsel and past member of the Executive Committee and Board of Directors)
- International Franchise Association (Past Chair of the Supplier Forum and past member of the Executive Committee and Board of Directors)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (Fellow)
- Executive Member of the Ontario Bar Association Joint Subcommittee on Franchise Law
- Co-Chair of the Uniform Law Conference of Canada Commercial Law Strategy on a Uniform Franchise Law