Frankfurt Christmas Market, Birmingham
The Frankfurt Christmas Market and Craft Market is an annual outdoor Christmas market and craft fair held in central Birmingham, England. The market started in 2001 with 24 stalls and has expanded every year. It opens in mid November and continues until late December, closing just before Christmas.
The Christmas Market and Craft Fair is located in Centenary Square, Chamberlain Square, New Street, and Victoria Square. It is the largest such market outside Germany and Austria, attracting over 3.1 million visitors in 2010, over 5 million visitors in 2011, almost 5 million visitors in 2013 and over 5.5 million visitors in 2014. German food and drink such as Bratwurst and Glühwein are available.
On 15 November 2018, after an inspection by Birmingham City Council's environmental health officials, twenty of the market's food stalls were ordered to improve hygiene . Two further stalls were summarily closed for failing to display mandatory allergen advice. When reinspected on 20 November, all the stalls were found to meet the required standards.
The market is affiliated with the Frankfurt Christmas Market in the city of Frankfurt, one of the oldest such markets in Germany (dating from 1393), hence the name. Birmingham is twinned with Frankfurt.
- "Birmingham's Frankfurt Christmas Market & Craft Fair". [VisitBirmingham]. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- "Another record year for Frankfurt Christmas Market". [BirminghamNewsroom]. Retrieved 13 November 2015.
- "Christmas markets". Enjoy England. Archived from the original on September 8, 2009. Retrieved 11 October 2010.
- "Another Record year for Frankfurt Christmas Market". Birmingham City Council. Retrieved 29 September 2010.
- "Birmingham's Frankfurt Christmas Market will be back November 15-December 22". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- "Birmingham Christmas Frankfurt Market: How German is it?". BBC News. UK: BBC. 15 November 2014. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- "Birmingham's German Market sees 'record number' of visitors". BBC News. 26 February 2015. Retrieved 26 October 2015.
- Jackson, Carl (17 December 2018). "This is how many stalls at city's Christmas markets failed hygiene tests". birminghammail. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
- "Frankfurt Christmas Market". germany-insider-facts.com/. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- "Partner Cities". Birmingham City Council. Archived from the original on 22 July 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Birmingham's Frankfurt Christmas Market.|
- Frankfurt Christmas Market and Craft Market, Birmingham City Council
- Frankfurt Christmas Market, Birmingham on Facebook
|This culture-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This England-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|