|• Mayor||Molly Hedrick|
|• Total||1.17 sq mi (3.03 km2)|
|• Land||1.17 sq mi (3.03 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||449 ft (137 m)|
|• Density||1,405.98/sq mi (542.92/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|FIPS code||48-27288 |
|GNIS feature ID||1357676 |
Franklin is a city and the county seat of Robertson County, Texas, United States. It is within the Brazos Valley on the cusp of East and Central Texas. As of the 2020 census, the city population was 1,614.
Franklin lies near the geographic center of the county, on an upland prairie that is drained by the branches of three creeks. Touchstone Branch, to the north, runs westward into Mud Creek; South Mineral Creek drains waters eastward to the Navasota River; and the forks of Cedar Creek run to the south, passing Mount Pleasant, Henry Prairie and Wheelock.
On April 13, 2019, an EF-3 tornado went through Franklin causing widespread damage and many injuries.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
Franklin is part of the Bryan-College Station metropolitan area.
|Black or African American (NH)||292||18.09%|
|Native American or Alaska Native (NH)||1||0.06%|
|Pacific Islander (NH)||2||0.12%|
|Hispanic or Latino||199||12.33%|
As of the 2020 United States census, there were 1,614 people, 555 households, and 419 families residing in the city.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,470 people, 533 households, and 351 families living in the city. The population density was 1,594.4 people per square mile (616.9/km2). There were 626 housing units at an average density of 679.0 per square mile (262.7/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 75.51% White, 19.52% African American, 0.20% Native American, 0.41% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 2.93% from other races, and 1.36% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.84% of the population.
There were 533 households, out of which 36.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.5% were married couples living together, 17.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.0% were non-families. 30.8% of all households were made up of individuals, and 18.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.20.
In the city, the population was spread out, with 29.0% under the age of 18, 6.9% from 18 to 24, 25.0% from 25 to 44, 18.4% from 45 to 64, and 20.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 85.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 80.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $27,400, and the median income for a family was $33,889. Males had a median income of $31,818 versus $20,441 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,490. About 15.4% of families and 18.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.5% of those under age 18 and 25.0% of those age 65 or over.
- Pridgeon Community Center and Visitor Center
- Robertson County Courthouse – National Register of Historic Places
- Franklin Ranch – Community/Sports Park
- Franklin Carnegie Library
- Franklin Cemetery
Franklin is a Type A general law city governed by a mayor and five city council members. The mayor and city council are elected at large to serve for a two-year term. Members may serve an unlimited number of terms. The city council meets on the third Monday of each month at 6:00 pm at City Hall. Request to be placed on the agenda should be made to the city secretary and approved by the mayor. All members must be residents within the city limits of Franklin.
- Roland Reynolds Elementary: Pre-K–4th
- Franklin Middle School: 5th–8th
- Franklin High School: 9th–12th
- History of Franklin, Texas.
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 7, 2020.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Archived from the original on 2011-05-31. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- County, City of Franklin, Texas - Robertson. "City of Franklin, Texas - Robertson County > About Franklin > History". cityoffranklintx.com. Retrieved 2017-09-30.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Explore Census Data". data.census.gov. Retrieved 2022-05-25.
- https://www.census.gov/[not specific enough to verify]
- "About the Hispanic Population and its Origin". www.census.gov. Retrieved 18 May 2022.
- County, City of Franklin, Texas - Robertson. "City of Franklin, Texas - Robertson County > Government > Mayor & City Council". cityoffranklintx.com. Retrieved 2017-09-30.
- "School Profile – About Franklin ISD – Franklin Independent School District". www.franklinisd.net. Retrieved 2017-09-30.
- "Fred Cole, Historian; Led Library Council". New York Times. May 8, 1986. Retrieved 27 December 2015.