Franklin 8 series
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Franklin 8ACG-538)
|Type||8-cyl. horizontally opposed air-cooled piston engine|
|National origin||United States|
|Manufacturer||Franklin Engine Company|
The Franklin 8 series of 8-cylinder air-cooled horizontally opposed aircraft engines produced in the 1940s and 1950s, (US military designation O-540 was applied to the 8ACG-538, 8ACSA-538 and 8ACGSA-538).
- 200 hp (149 kW) @ 2,600 rpm.
- 235 hp (175 kW) @ 3,500 rpm. The 8ACG-398 was unusual in using a reduction gearing for take-off and direct drive for cruising.
- 300 hp (224 kW) @ 3,200 rpm geared to 0.632 (XO-540-1)
- 300 hp (224 kW) @ 3,200 rpm supercharged and geared to 0.632 (XO-540-3 and O-540-5)
- 300 hp (224 kW) supercharged (XO-540-7), powered the Northrop N-9MB.
- Military designation for the 8ACG-538, 8ACSA-538 and 8ACGSA-538 engines
- Related development
- Franklin 2 series
- Franklin 4 series
- Franklin 6 series
- Franklin 12 series
- Franklin O-335
- Franklin O-805
- Related lists
- Gunston, Bill. (1986) World Encyclopedia of Aero Engines. Patrick Stephens: Wellingborough. p. 57
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Franklin 8 series.|