Franklin Borough School District
|Franklin Borough School District|
|50 Washington Avenue
Franklin, NJ 07416
|Business administrator||William J. Sabo|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||642 (as of 2014-15)|
|District Factor Group||CD|
The Franklin Borough School District is a comprehensive community public school district that serves students in kindergarten through eighth grade from Franklin, in Sussex County, New Jersey, United States.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "CD", the sixth-highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
For ninth through twelfth grades, public school students attend Wallkill Valley Regional High School which is composed of students from Franklin Borough, Hardyston Township, Hamburg Borough and Ogdensburg Borough, and is part of the Wallkill Valley Regional High School District. As of the 2014-15 school year, the high school had an enrollment of 655 students and 57.6 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.4:1.
A two-room school opened in 1871 with an enrollment of 50 students as Franklin's first public school. The building was expanded in 1914 to accommodate a vocational school in the central portion of the building, a left wing was added in 1922 and a right wing was constructed in 1926 at a cost of $150,000, opening in September 1927. Franklin Industrial School had its first graduating class in 1924 with nine students, which rose to `4 in 1928 when the first full class graduated.
School history records that Babe Ruth, a frequent visitor to the Franklin area, and a group of local engineers oversaw the design of a baseball field whose dimensions matched those of the original Yankee Stadium. A 1960 construction project that added an auditorium and gymnasium to the school necessitated moving the field's original grandstand, considered at the time to be one of the best in the country.
1972 featured the school's largest graduating class, which declined after the opening of Vernon Township High School. Until then, students from Hamburg, Hardyston Township, Jefferson Township, Ogdensburg and Vernon Township, New Jersey all attended the high school as part of sending/receiving relationships.
In September 1982, Wallkill Valley Regional High School opened its doors, and Franklin High School closed theirs, making the class of 1982 the final class to graduate from Franklin High School. Franklin School K-12 then became Franklin Elementary School K-8.
- Franklin Borough School (458 students)
- Dr. Patricia J. Pfeil, Principal
- J.R. Giacchi, Superintendent
- William J. Sabo, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- District information for Franklin Borough School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 7, 2014.
- Regular Meeting minutes, Wallkill Valley Regional High School Board of Education, October 26, 2010. Accessed March 16, 2011. "Clerks of the four municipalities of Franklin, Hamburg, Hardyston and Ogdensburg and also was posted on the bulletin board maintained by the Board of Education at the high school."
- School data for Wallkill Valley Regional High School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Franklin School History, Franklin Borough School District. Accessed October 12, 2009.
- School Data for the Franklin Borough School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 9, 2016.
- Administration, Franklin Borough School District. Accessed January 5, 2017.
- New Jersey School Directory for Sussex County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- Franklin Borough School District
- Franklin Borough School District's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Franklin Borough School District, National Center for Education Statistics