Franklin Canyon, California
Franklin Canyon is an unincorporated community located outside Martinez, California in Contra Costa County. It is named for San Francisco pioneer Edward Franklin who came to California from England in 1849 for the California Gold Rush. The canyon lies adjacent to Franklin Ridge, which ends at Mount Wanda, and the Franklin Hills area.
Franklin purchased the two-story Martinez Adobe ranch house (California Historical Landmark No. 511) from Vicente J. Martinez on October 6, 1853. Dr. John T. Strenzel, the father-in-law of famous naturalist John Muir, bought the property from Franklin in 1875.
- California Historical Landmarks in Contra Costa County
- Map of Franklin Canyon, Martinez, CA
- Martinez Historical Society
- Contra Costa County Historical Society
- National Park Service on Martinez Adobe or Franklin Canyon Adobe