Franklin Central High School
|Franklin Central High School|
6215 South Franklin Road
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Franklin Township Community School Corporation|
|Athletics conference||Hoosier Crossroads Conference|
|Rivals||Roncalli High School|
|Website||Franklin Central website|
This section does not cite any sources. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Franklin Central High School was established in 1960, succeeding Franklin Township High School. The current school building was constructed during 1975 and 1976. Classes at the current building began in September 1976. The school underwent construction and renovation in 1990 and 2003. The Freshmen Academy, an addition to the main building, opened in the fall of 2009.
The demographic breakdown of the 2,503 students enrolled in 2015-2016 was:
- Male - 51.7%
- Female - 48.3%
- White - 79.9%
- Black - 6.2%
- Hispanic - 6.1%
- Multiracial - 4.0%
- Asian/Pacific islanders - 3.6%
- Native American/Alaskan - 0.2%
34.9% of the students were eligible for free or reduced lunch.
Franklin Central's school colors are blue and white and their athletic nickname is the Flashes.
Franklin Central High School is home to 12 boys' sports including Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Soccer, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, and Wrestling. Franklin Central also features 11 girls' sports including Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Golf, Gymnastics, Soccer, Softball, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, and Volleyball.
Franklin Central's stadium, the Franklin Township Athletic Center, is a 13,120-square-foot (1,219 m2) multipurpose facility that is used for football and track and field. The stadium is six stories tall and has seating for 3,500 on the home side. The facility was built in 2004 at a one-time cost of $4.3 million.
The football team were state champions in 1980, 1981, 1982 and 1990. The boys' cross country team won the state championship in 1998.
- Flashback is the school's yearbook.
- WRFT the is high school radio station. The radio station operates 24 hours a day on frequency 91.5 mHz FM.
- The Pilot Flashes, founded in 1917, is the school's monthly student newspaper.
Super Bowl performance
- Mike Aulby - Former member of the PBA and one of only four PBA bowlers to win both a Rookie of the Year and Player of the Year award
- Roger Burkman - Current athletic director at Spalding University in Louisville, Kentucky. Former NBA player for the Chicago Bulls. Member of the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame
- Jon Elrod - Former member of the Indiana House of Representatives from Indiana's 97th House District
- JaJuan Johnson - Darüşşafaka S.K. power forward in the Turkish Basketball Super League
- Jake "Irish" O'Brien - professional mixed martial arts fighter, formerly with the UFC
- Sunungura Rusununguko - Former AFL defensive lineman for the Indiana Firebirds, Colorado Crush and New Orleans VooDoo
- Donald Washington - Former NFL cornerback for the Kansas City Chiefs
- "Franklin Central High School". USDOE. Retrieved March 21, 2018.
- "Football: State Champions". Boys Football. IHSAA. Retrieved 2008-08-23.[dead link]
- "FTCSC Referendum Information- Frequently Asked Questions". Retrieved 2011-08-14.
- "Hoosiers perform with Madonna in Super Bowl halftime show". FOX 59. Retrieved 2012-02-06.