Franklin County Regional Airport
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Franklin County Regional Airport|
|Owner||Susquehanna Area Regional Airport Authority|
|Elevation AMSL||697 ft / 212.4 m|
Franklin County Regional Airport (FAA LID: N68), formerly known as Chambersburg Municipal Airport, is a general aviation airport located three miles (5 km) north of the Borough of Chambersburg, in Franklin County, Pennsylvania, USA. The airport is situated approximately 45 miles southwest of Harrisburg.
In 2004, the Susquehanna Area Regional Airport Authority (SARAA) bought Franklin County Regional Airport and formed a Study Advisory Group (SAG) to develop a list of recommended improvements at the airport. Those improvements included: rehabilitation of the runway, taxiway, ramp area and other landside faculties, additional parking, signage, hangars, an automated weather observation station (AWOS) and a fueling service. The improvements will be made on a priority basis and as grant monies become available.
Franklin County Regional Airport was opened in July 1970.
In 2014, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) awarded Franklin County Regional Airport a $720,000 grant to construct a parallel taxiway to runway 6/24, which will eliminate the need for aircraft to turn around at the end of the runway and taxi back down the runway to the main taxiway. The parallel taxiway will be approximately 700 feet long, and will terminate at an intersection with the main taxiway that's used to get to and from the aircraft apron.
Franklin County Regional Airport has one runway:
- Runway 8/26: 3,300 x 75 ft. (1,006 x 23 m), Surface: Asphalt
There are 16 aircraft based at Franklin County Regional Airport (15 single engine aircraft & 1 multi engine aircraft). In 2015, there were a total of 11,910 aircraft movements at the airport.
- "Franklin County Regional Airport". Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- "Franklin County Regional Airport". AirNav. Federal Aviation Administration. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- "Franklin County Regional Airport gets grant to expand taxiway". The Record Herald. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- Mattera, Julianne. "Susquehanna Area Regional Airport Authority OKs nearly $800,000 in contracts". PennLive. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- Franklin County Regional Airport (official site)
- Pennsylvania Bureau of Aviation: Chambersburg Municipal Airport
- Resources for this airport:
|This article about an airport in Pennsylvania is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in Pennsylvania is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|