Franklin Edgerton (July 24, 1885 – December 7, 1963) was an American linguistic scholar. He was Salisbury Professor of Sanskrit and Comparative Philology at Yale University (1926) and visiting professor at Benares Hindu University (1953–4). Between 1913 and 1926, he was the Professor of Sanskrit at the University of Pennsylvania. He is well known for his exceptionally literal translation of the Bhagavad Gita which was published as volume 38-39 of the Harvard Oriental Series in 1944. He also edited the parallel edition of four recensions of the Simhāsana Dvātrṃśika ("32 Tales of the Throne", also known as Vikrama Charita: "Adventures of Vikrama"), and a reconstruction of the (lost) original Sanskrit text of the Panchatantra.
- M. B. Emeneau, "Franklin Edgerton", Language, Vol. 40, No. 2 (Apr. - Jun., 1964), pp. 111-123
- Short Biography at Oxford Reference
- Brown, W. Norman (1925-01-01). "Review". The American Journal of Philology. 46 (2): 186–190. doi:10.2307/289147. ISSN 0002-9475. JSTOR 289147.
- Dewhurst, R. P. (1925-04-01). "Review". Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland (2): 326–327. doi:10.2307/25220721. ISSN 0035-869X. JSTOR 25220721.
- R., S. (1925-01-01). "Review". Revue Archéologique. Cinquième Série. 21 (ArticleType: book-review / Full publication date: JANVIER-JUIN 1925 / Copyright © 1925 Presses Universitaires de France): 204. doi:10.2307/41031931. ISSN 0035-0737. JSTOR 41031931.
- Rose, H. A. (1924-12-31). "Review". Folklore. 35 (4): 396–399. doi:10.2307/1255942. ISSN 0015-587X. JSTOR 1255942.
- Edgerton, Franklin (1924). Panchatantra reconstructed. 2 Volumes. New Haven, CT: American Oriental Society
- Edgerton, Franklin (1926). Vikrama's Adventures. Harvard Oriental Series, Volumes 26 & 27. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Edgerton, Franklin (1931) The elephant-lore of the Hindus. Yale University Press.
- Edgerton, Franklin (1944) The Bhagavad Gita, Translated and interpreted from the Sanskrit, Harvard University Press: Cambridge, Mass.
- Edgerton, Franklin (1953). Buddhist hybrid sanskrit grammar and dictionary, Vol. 1: Grammar. New Haven: Yale University Press
- Edgerton, Franklin (1953). Buddhist hybrid sanskrit grammar and dictionary, Vol. 2: Dictionary. New Haven: Yale University Press
- Edgerton, Franklin (1965). The Beginnings of Indian Philosophy: Selections from the Rig Veda, Atharva Veda, Upanisads, and Mahabharata, Translated from the Sanskrit with an Introduction, notes, and glossarial index. Harvard University Press & George Allen & Unwin London
- Franklin Edgerton at Google Scholar
- Franklin Edgerton at Google Books
- Franklin Edgerton Papers (MS 1720). Manuscripts and Archives, Yale University Library.
|This biography of a United States linguist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|