Franklin F. Kuo
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||April 1, 1934|
|Awards||IEEE Fellow (1972)|
|Fields||Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences|
|Institutions||University of Hawaii, Stanford University|
|Doctoral advisor||Mac Van Valkenburg|
Franklin Kuo (April 1, 1934-) was a professor at the University of Hawaii and is the author of several books on computer communications. He was also the vice president at China Mtone Wireless Corporation in Beijing, China, and is a major contributor to ALOHANET, along with Norman Abramson. He is now retired in California.
Outside of universities, his work includes as a consultant to the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory from 1966 to 1971, the Office of the Secretary of Defense from 1978 to 1982, the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy from 1988 to 1990 and as a member of the Chief of Naval Operations Executive Panel from 1980 to 1985.
Franklin has written several books related to networks, protocols, computer communications and multimedia. Some of his texts were used as graduate textbooks at universities for teaching subjects related to computer communications and networks.
- 1962 Network Analysis & Synthesis, Wiley,  (2nd Ed. 1966)
- 1973 Computer Communication Networks (with N Abramson), Prentice-Hall
- 1980 Protocols and Techniques of Data Communication networks, Prentice-Hall
- 1998 Multimedia Communications, (with W. Effelsberg and JJ Garcia-Luna), Prentice-Hall
Franklin has received several awards, including:
- 1972 IEEE Fellow
- 1984 Honorary Professorship, Shanghai Jiaotong University
- 1984 World Bank Lecturer, Shanghai, China
- 1987 Distinguished Alumni Award, University of Illinois Alumni Association
- 1994 Honorary Professorship, Electrotechnical University, Chengdu, China
- 1994 UNESCO Lecturer, Beijing and Chengdu, China
- 1995 Alexander von Humboldt Foundation Research Award, Germany
- Abramson, Norman (11 October 1974). "Final technical report for contract number NAS2-6700: The Aloha System" (PDF).
- Kuo, Franklin F. (May 1981). "Computer networks -- the ALOHA system" (PDF).
- "Franklin Kuo - The Mathematics Genealogy Project". Genealogy.ams.org. Retrieved 31 October 2018.
- Kuo, Franklin F. (31 October 1968). "Network analysis and synthesis". Wiley. Retrieved 31 October 2018 – via Amazon.
- "Franklin F. Kuo - InformIT". Informit. Retrieved 31 October 2018.