Franklin Grove, Illinois
|Franklin Grove, Illinois|
The small commercial district in Franklin Grove
|Area||0.48 sq mi (1 km2)|
|- land||0.48 sq mi (1 km2)|
|- water||0.00 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||2,835.5 / sq mi (1,095 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons: Franklin Grove, Illinois|
Franklin Grove was named for James R. Franklin, a pioneer who settled in a grove near the town site.
The Lincoln Highway Association (LHA) maintains a national tourist center in Franklin Grove, in a historic building built by Harry Isaac Lincoln, a cousin of Abraham Lincoln. The LHA is a national organization dedicated to the preservation and promotion of the Lincoln Highway, the first road across the United States of America, which was routed through Franklin Grove.
Franklin Grove is located at (41.841729, -89.300305).
According to the 2010 census, Franklin Grove has a total area of 0.48 square miles (1.24 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,052 people, 372 households, and 249 families residing in the village. The population density was 2,835.5 people per square mile (1,097.8/km²). There were 394 housing units at an average density of 1,062.0 per square mile (411.1/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 99.24% White, 0.10% African American, 0.10% Asian, 0.29% from other races, and 0.29% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.57% of the population.
There were 372 households out of which 34.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.4% were married couples living together, 10.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.8% were non-families. 28.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 21.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 3.10.
In the village the population was spread out with 24.0% under the age of 18, 8.6% from 18 to 24, 23.3% from 25 to 44, 19.7% from 45 to 64, and 24.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 85.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 76.4 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $41,181, and the median income for a family was $45,875. Males had a median income of $33,654 versus $19,063 for females. The per capita income for the village was $15,427. About 5.9% of families and 7.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.3% of those under age 18 and 6.4% of those age 65 or over.
Franklin Grove has 4 churches within the city limits. The Franklin Grove United Methodist Church, The Church of the Brethren, First Presbyterian, and St. Paul's Lutheran Church.
- Chicago and North Western Railway Company (1908). A History of the Origin of the Place Names Connected with the Chicago & North Western and Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha Railways. p. 74.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "G001 - Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2015-08-03.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.