Franklin Parish, Louisiana
|Franklin Parish, Louisiana|
Franklin Parish Courthouse at Winnsboro
Location in the state of Louisiana
Louisiana's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Benjamin Franklin|
|• Total||635 sq mi (1,645 km2)|
|• Land||625 sq mi (1,619 km2)|
|• Water||11 sq mi (28 km2), 1.7%|
|• Density||33/sq mi (13/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Franklin Parish (French: Paroisse de Franklin) is a parish located in the U.S. state of Louisiana. As of the 2010 census, the population was 20,767. The parish seat is Winnsboro. The parish was founded in 1843 and named for Benjamin Franklin.
- Richland Parish (north)
- Madison Parish (northeast)
- Tensas Parish (southeast)
- Catahoula Parish (south)
- Caldwell Parish (west)
National protected area
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2000, there were 21,263 people, 7,754 households, and 5,706 families residing in the parish. The population density was 34 people per square mile (13/km²). There were 8,623 housing units at an average density of 14 per square mile (5/km²). The racial makeup of the parish was 67.16% White, 31.61% Black or African American, 0.27% Native American, 0.19% Asian, 0.15% from other races, and 0.62% from two or more races. 0.75% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 7,754 households out of which 33.90% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.30% were married couples living together, 16.50% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.40% were non-families. 23.90% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.64 and the average family size was 3.13.
In the parish the population was spread out with 27.90% under the age of 18, 9.10% from 18 to 24, 25.80% from 25 to 44, 21.90% from 45 to 64, and 15.30% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 91.20 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.40 males.
The median income for a household in the parish was $22,964, and the median income for a family was $27,440. Males had a median income of $26,305 versus $16,758 for females. The per capita income for the parish was $12,675. About 23.10% of families and 28.40% of the population were below the poverty line, including 41.40% of those under age 18 and 25.00% of those age 65 or over.
The parish also hosts two private Christian schools, Franklin Academy in Winnsboro, where Phil Jackson is principal and Leigh Jonson is vice principal and Family Community Christian School, where Elizabeth Rigdon is principal.
921st Engineer Company (Horizontal) part of the 528th Engineer Battalion which belongs to the 225th Engineer Brigade is located in Winnsboro.
- Winnsboro (parish seat)
- Ralph E. King, Winnsboro physician who represented Catahoula, Franklin, and Richland parishes in the Louisiana State Senate from 1944 to 1952 and again from 1956 to 1960
- Steve Pylant, former sheriff of Franklin Parish; Republican member of the Louisiana House of Representatives, resides in Franklin Parish near Delhi in Richland Parish.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 9, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Franklin Parish". Center for Cultural and Eco-Tourism. Retrieved September 4, 2014.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 131.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. Retrieved August 20, 2014.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 20, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved August 20, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 20, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 20, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
||Richland Parish||Richland Parish||Madison Parish|
|Catahoula Parish||Tensas Parish|