||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Franklin Ruehl is an American ufologist and cryptozoologist. He holds a Ph.D. in theoretical nuclear physics from UCLA. He has appeared on such shows as Jimmy Kimmel Live!, The Roseanne Show and Tom Green Live among others. Ruehl's own show, Mysteries from Beyond the Other Dominion, started on a public-access television cable TV channel in the Los Angeles area in the late 1980s, and then the Sci Fi Channel in the early '90s. In 2006, He hosted several new episodes of the show on TomGreen.com. Ruehl was rejected on an America's Got Talent audition with an act that encompassed sticking straws into a potato. In 2010, he appeared on several episodes of 1000 Ways to Die, as an expert, portraying a Cryptozoologist, a Conspiracy Expert and a Deathologist/Thanatologist. His show Professor Weird debuted at 9pm on August 18, 2012 on the Science Channel. In 2015, a clip from his audition tape for TBS' comedy-reality competition series, America's Next Weatherman, was shown in a bumper segment as part of a group of people who didn't get chosen for the series. Ruehl has been a regular on "A Current Affair"(2005), "9 On The Town"(with a UFO segment), "Strange Universe," "Weird TV," and "Ancient Aliens"(on the History Channel). He co-hosts a radio program on Blog Talk Radio,"Hypergalactic Enigmas." Ruehl has a series of videos entitled The Realm of Bizarre News, which can be viewed here.
Ruehl was born in Philadelphia (c. 1944). During his childhood, after 40 straight days of rain "his father told the family they were moving to California", where Ruehl was first introduced to the world of Sci-Fi, watching television programs and movies such as Space Patrol, Rocky Jones, Space Ranger and his favorite Sci-Fi movie Rocketship X-M, that captured his imagination and desire to explore the field he is in today. Ruehl majored in physics at UCLA and got his PH.D. in theoretical nuclear physics there. During this time he was also writing articles in publications in Canadian UFO Report and went on the local T.V. news' five-minute rebuttal sessions. After a while he was being interviewed by the National Enquirer, later becoming an interviewer and writing articles on controversial subjects of that time (Cryptozoology, Parapsychology and Ufology). Videos of his public access television show were sent to Universal, and the show was later picked up on the Sci-fi channel. Ruehl resides in Glendale, California.
Sayings/Catchphrases he uses on his show
- "Welcome once again Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, to Mysteries From Beyond The Other Dominion. I'm your host Dr. Franklin Ruehl."
- "Roll tape!"
- "But first, the trivia question of the day."
- "Let me extricate it here from its paper prison."
- "The only prize is one pat on the back, which you will have to administer to yourself, if and only if, you get the correct answer. I'll take a sip of water and be back momentarily. "
- "As you know I'm a Ph.D., Not an MD. But I've always been intrigued by bizarre medicine. Let's see what's in the little black bag."
- "That's a lot better than a slap on the belly with a wet trout."
- "Now until next time,/ May The Power/ of the Cosmos /be with You. /Yes, Yes, Yes."