Franklin Township, Brown County, Ohio
|Franklin Township, Brown County, Ohio|
Dam at Lake Waynoka
Location of Franklin Township in Brown County
|• Total||27.3 sq mi (70.6 km2)|
|• Land||26.9 sq mi (69.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.0 km2)|
|Elevation||978 ft (298 m)|
|• Density||62/sq mi (23.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085795|
Located in the center of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Washington Township - north
- Eagle Township - northeast corner
- Jackson Township - east
- Jefferson Township - southeast
- Pleasant Township - southwest
- Scott Township - northwest
No municipalities are located in Franklin Township.
Name and history
Franklin Township was established in 1822.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Franklin township, Brown County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- The History of Brown County, Ohio. Higginson Book Company. 1883. p. 530.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.