Franklin Township, Clare County, Michigan
|Franklin Township, Michigan|
|• Total||35.5 sq mi (91.9 km2)|
|• Land||35.3 sq mi (91.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||1,138 ft (347 m)|
|• Density||23/sq mi (9.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||48624 (Gladwin),
|GNIS feature ID||1626306|
- Meredith is an unincorporated community along the eastern boundary of the township with Sherman Township in Gladwin County at . During the lumber boom of the late 1800s, the settlement had a population of as many as 1,800 people. A post office operated from January 14, 1884, until October 14, 1895.
- The city of Gladwin is to the southeast in Gladwin County, and the Gladwin ZIP code 48624 serves the eastern half of Franklin Township.
- The city of Harrison is to the southwest, and the Harrison ZIP code 48625 serves the western half of Franklin Township.
Franklin Township occupies the northeast corner of Clare County and is bordered to the east by Gladwin County and to the north by Roscommon County.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.5 square miles (91.9 km2), of which 35.3 square miles (91.5 km2) is land and 0.15 square miles (0.4 km2), or 0.42%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 809 people, 343 households, and 239 families residing in the township. The population density was 22.9 per square mile (8.8/km²). There were 915 housing units at an average density of 25.8 per square mile (10.0/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 99.13% White, and 0.87% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.74% of the population.
There were 343 households out of which 25.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.4% were married couples living together, 7.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.3% were non-families. 25.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.36 and the average family size was 2.74.
In the township the population was spread out with 22.7% under the age of 18, 6.6% from 18 to 24, 24.0% from 25 to 44, 32.0% from 45 to 64, and 14.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 121.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 123.2 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $25,598, and the median income for a family was $26,932. Males had a median income of $29,583 versus $15,795 for females. The per capita income for the township was $12,353. About 13.4% of families and 19.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.3% of those under age 18 and 32.4% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Franklin Township, Clare County, Michigan
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Franklin township, Clare County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Meredith, Michigan
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- 48624 5-Digit ZCTA, 486 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 48625 5-Digit ZCTA, 486 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census