Reyes with the San Diego Padres in 2018
|Cleveland Indians – No. 32|
|Outfielder / Designated hitter|
|Born: July 7, 1995|
Palenque, Dominican Republic
|May 14, 2018, for the San Diego Padres|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2019 season)
|Runs batted in||112|
Franmil Federico Reyes (born July 7, 1995) is a Dominican professional baseball outfielder and designated hitter for the Cleveland Indians of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played for the San Diego Padres.
San Diego Padres
Reyes signed with the San Diego Padres as an international free agent in 2011. He made his professional debut in 2012 with the Dominican Summer League Padres and spent the whole season there, batting .267/.360/.416 with four home runs and 37 RBIs in 67 games. He played 2013 with the Arizona League Padres and Eugene Emeralds where he compiled a .292 batting average with four home runs and 34 RBIs in 57 games, 2014 with the Fort Wayne TinCaps where he posted a .248 batting average with 11 home runs and 59 RBIs in 128 games, and 2015 back with Fort Wayne where he slashed .255/.320/.393 with eight home runs and 62 RBIs in 123 games.
Reyes played 2016 with the Lake Elsinore Storm where he batted .278 with 16 home runs and 83 RBIs in 130 games, and 2017 with the San Antonio Missions where he compiled a .258 batting average with 25 home runs, 102 RBIs, and a .785 OPS in 135 games. He started 2018 with the El Paso Chihuahuas. After batting .346/.442/.738 with 14 home runs and 38 RBIs in 36 games for El Paso, he was promoted to the San Diego Padres on May 14.
Reyes made his Major League debut on May 14, 2018, against the Colorado Rockies, getting the start in right field after outfielders Wil Myers and Hunter Renfroe had both been placed on the disabled list. Reyes hit his first MLB home run on May 21 at Nationals Park Reyes was optioned back to Triple-A El Paso on May 31 when Myers returned to the Padres. He returned to the team on July 10 and made regular starts in right field until he was optioned again on July 21 when Myers returned from a different injury. Reyes was recalled for a span of 10 games in July, but only saw 12 at-bats, serving mostly as a pinch hitter. He returned to the team in early August when Myers again went to the disabled list. After this fourth promotion, Reyes improved his approach at the plate and raised his average from .221 to .280 through the end of the season while making regular starts in right field. On August 30, he hit a walk-off home run in the 13th inning against Colorado. Reyes finished the season with an .838 OPS and 16 home runs in 261 at-bats and 71 starts in right field.
On July 31, 2019, the Padres traded Reyes to the Cleveland Indians in a three-team trade that also included the Cincinnati Reds. The Indians also acquired Logan Allen and minor leaguer Victor Nova from the Padres and Yasiel Puig and minor league pitcher Scott Moss from the Reds, while the Reds acquired Trevor Bauer from the Indians and the Padres acquired minor leaguer Taylor Trammell from the Reds.
In 2019 in aggregate he batted .237/.304/.468. He made contact with the lowest percentage of pitches he swung at (65.4%) of all major league batters.
- "Reyes keeps focus on contact | Sports". The Journal Gazette. March 16, 2016. Retrieved May 14, 2018.
- "Reyes takes Texas two-step on the road". MiLB.com. May 5, 2018. Retrieved May 14, 2018.
- "Franmil Reyes Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved May 20, 2018.
- Cassavell, AJ (May 13, 2018). "Padres call up Minors HR leader Reyes". MLB.com. Retrieved March 26, 2019.
- "Big-hitting Reyes joins friend Franchy in lineup". MLB.com. May 14, 2018. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- Smith, Elliott (May 21, 2018). "Franmil crushes first MLB home run vs. Nats". MLB.com. Retrieved March 26, 2019.
- Cola, Christina. "San Diego Padres: A Temporary Farewell to Franmil Reyes". FanSided. FriarOnBase.com. Retrieved March 26, 2019.
- Sanders, Jeff (July 10, 2018). "Franmil Reyes returns as Walker Lockett optioned out". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved March 26, 2019.
- roydjt (June 21, 2018). "A flurry of roster moves: Myers, Maton back from DL, Hughes to DL, Franmil optioned..." Gaslamp Ball. SBNation.com. Retrieved March 26, 2019.
- Stevens, Nick. "San Diego Padres: Wil Myers To The Disabled List, Again". FanSided. FriarsOnBase.com. Retrieved March 26, 2019.
- Cassavell, AJ (September 22, 2018). "Reyes thriving with refined two-strike approach". MLB.com. Retrieved March 26, 2019.
- AJ, Cassavell (August 30, 2018). "Reyes' walk-off HR in 13th lifts Padres over Rox". MLB.com. Retrieved March 26, 2019.
- Sanders, Jeff (November 28, 2018). "Knee surgery to sideline Padres' Franmil Reyes 4 to 8 weeks". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved March 26, 2019.
- "Indians complete three-team trade with the Padres and Reds". MLB.com. July 31, 2019.
- "Major League Leaderboards » 2019 » Batters » Plate Discipline Statistics | FanGraphs Baseball". Fangraphs.com. 2019-01-01. Retrieved 2019-10-07.