Franz Fischler (born 23 September 1946) is an Austrian politician from the Christian-conservative People's Party (ÖVP). He was the European Union's Commissioner for Agriculture, Rural Development and Fisheries (1995–2004). Currently he is President of the European Forum Alpbach.
Education and early career
Born in Absam, Tyrol Fischler studied agriculture at the University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences Vienna, and finished as Dr rer.nat.oec. in 1978. He worked as University assistant from 1973 to 1979, then for the Tyrol Chamber of Agriculture, finally as its director from 1985 to 1989.
Between 1989 and 1994 Fischler was Federal Minister for Agriculture and Forestry, and since 1990 elected Member of National Council. In 1995 he became European Commissioner in Brussels, responsible for agriculture and rural development. In 1999 fisheries also became part of his responsibilities.
- Nedergaard, Peter (July 2006). "The 2003 reform of the Common Agricultural Policy: against all odds or rational explanations?". Journal of European Integration. 28 (3): 203–223. doi:10.1080/07036330600785749.
- See also: Fischler, Franz (16 September 2003). "Speech by Commissioner Fischler - From Cancun - The road ahead for the trade and agriculture negotiations (transcript of speech)". eu-un.europa.eu. European Union Delegation to the United Nations - New York: EU@UN - Partnership in Action. Archived from the original on 15 September 2015.
Notes and references
- "Franz Fischler". The European Commission. Retrieved 19 January 2009.
- "Dipl.-Ing. Dr. Franz Fischler" (in German). The Austrian Parliament. Retrieved 19 January 2009.
- Van Oudenaren, John (2005). "AGENDA 2000 AND THE BERLIN PACKAGE". Uniting Europe. Rowman & Littlefield. pp. 153–154. ISBN 978-0-7425-3661-6.
- "FAO - News Article: Candidates for the post of Director-General announced".
- Membership Trilateral Commission.
| Agriculture Minister of Austria
|First|| Austrian European Commissioner
|This article about a politician in the European Commission is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an Austrian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|