Catherine Irwin and Janet Bean in 2006
|Origin||Louisville, Kentucky U.S.|
|Associated acts||Eleventh Dream Day
Stump The Host
Janet Beveridge Bean
|Past members||John Alexander Spiegel
John Alexander Spiegel
Max Konrad Johnston
Freakwater is an American alternative country band from Louisville, Kentucky, with one co-founding member living in Chicago. Freakwater is known for the lead vocals of Janet Bean and Catherin Irwin, who mix harmony and melody in idiosyncratic dissonant country-folk that is reminiscent of the Carter Family.
In 1989, Janet Beveridge Bean (of rock band Eleventh Dream Day) and Catherine Irwin founded the band, and they have been supported by several musicians since then, including members of Califone (2005 Thinking of You tour). Bassist David Wayne Gay, formerly of Stump The Host, is another long-time member of the band. They released their records on Chicago's Thrill Jockey label. From 2006 to 2013, Bean and Irwin worked on other projects. A reissue of 1993's Feels Like the Third Time as a 20-year anniversary restarted the duo playing together as Freakwater. In 2014, the band went out on the road, touring and playing the record as their main set.
In February 2016, Freakwater will release the record, Scheherazade, on Bloodshot Records. In advance of the full-length record—the duo's first record since 2005—Freakwater released a single called "The Asp And The Albatross."
- 1989: Freakwater (Amoeba Records)
- 1991: Dancing Under Water / Freakwater (Amoeba Records)
- 1993: Feels Like the Third Time (Thrill Jockey)
- 1995: Old Paint (Thrill Jockey)
- 1995: June 6, 1994 (Glitterhouse Records)
- 1997: Dancing Under Water LP/CD (Thrill Jockey)
- 1998: Springtime LP/CD (Thrill Jockey)
- 1999: End Time LP/CD (Thrill Jockey)
- 2005: Thinking of You... (Thrill Jockey)
- 2016: Scheherazade (Bloodshot Records)
- 1990: "Your Goddamned Mouth" / "War Pigs" (1 1/4 York Records)
- 1993: "My Old Drunk Friend" / "Kentucky" (Thrill Jockey)
- 1995: "South of Cincinnati" / "Cut Me Out" (Thrill Jockey)
- 1999: "Hellbound" / "Lorraine" (Thrill Jockey)
- 2015: "The Asp & The Albatross" / "Fullerene" (Bloodshot Records)
- 1993: Keep On The Sunny Side: A Tribute to the Carter Family (Amoeba Records)
- 1999: Alt.Country Exposed Roots (K-Tel Records)
Catherine Irwin solo
- 2003: Cut Yourself A Switch (Thrill Jockey)
- 2012: Little Heater (Thrill Jockey)
Janet Bean solo
- 2004: Dragging Wonder Lake (Thrill Jockey)
- Ratliff, Ben (19 February 1998). "In Performance; Pop". The New York Times. Retrieved 19 November 2015.
- Cooper, Duncan (20 January 2016). "Freakwater Still Rules, 30 Years Later". The FADER. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- Gendron, Bob (23 January 2013). "Freakwater spotlights mood and melody at the Hideout". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- Kemp, Mark (2007). "Freakwater". Trouser Press. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- Reger, Rick (12 October 1995). "Freakwater: Old Paint". Chicago Reader. Retrieved 19 November 2015.
- Hopper, Jessica (17 January 2013). "Freakwater back with a melodic bang, no whimper". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- Adrian (August 3, 2015). "Interview with Janet Beveridge Bean (Eleventh Dream Day)". DOA.
- Siregar, Cady (3 November 2015). "Freakwater – "The Asp And The Albatross" (Stereogum Premiere)". Stereogum. Retrieved 19 November 2015.
- Freakwater at Bloodshot Records
- Freakwater at Thrill Jockey
- Freakwater at Grunnen Rocks
- Freakwater discography at Discogs
|This Louisville-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|