Freaky Friday (musical)
by Mary Rodgers
by Walt Disney Productions
by Walt Disney Pictures & Gunn Films
|Premiere||October 4, 2016: Signature Theatre, Arlington, Virginia|
2017 San Diego
Freaky Friday is a musical with music and lyrics by Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey, and a book by Bridget Carpenter. This version was developed for licensing by Disney Theatrical Productions and had no Broadway run. It is based on the 1972 book of the same name by Mary Rodgers and its 1976 and 2003 film adaptations. In the story, when an overworked mother and her teenage daughter magically swap bodies, they have just one day to put things right again before the mom’s wedding.
The Freaky Friday musical was developed by Disney Theatrical Productions from the book and Disney films for theatres to license. The musical debuted at the Signature Theatre in Arlington, Virginia on October 4, 2016. Direction was by Christopher Ashley and choreography was by Sergio Trujillo. Heidi Blickenstaff and Emma Hunton led the cast.
The show was slated for the next season at La Jolla Playhouse, the Cleveland Playhouse and Houston’s Alley Theater and opened there in January 2017  again with Blickenstaff and Hunton starring.
Blickenstaff and Hunton then appeared at the Cleveland Playhouse from April 15, 2017 to May 20, 2017 and at the Alley Theatre, Houston, Texas, from June 2 to July 2, 2017. The musical was presented in Norfolk, Virginia in December 2017 by the Virginia Musical Theatre and in Atlanta, Georgia by the Horizon Theatre Company.
Coinciding with the release of the Disney Channel Original Movie (DCOM) adaptation, a one-act version of the stage musical (featuring all the songs used in the DCOM adaptation) was made available on August 10, 2018 for licensing.
According to Entertainment Weekly, "presently there are no plans to transfer the show to Broadway, but nevertheless the door is now wide open for licensing for professional, regional, and amateur productions around the country."
A "Studio Cast" album featuring Blickenstaff and Hunton was released on February 10, 2017.
- La Jolla Playhouse
Characters and original cast
- Casts of major stage productions
|Disney Channel Movie|
|Ellie||Emma Hunton||Cozi Zuehlsdorff|
|Torrey||J. Elaine Marcos||Alet Taylor||Kahyun Kim|
|Wells / Louis||Julian Ramos||Joshua Pak|
|Pastor Bruno / Dr. Ehrin / Officer Kowalski||Jason SweetTooth Williams||Colby Wilson (Officer Kowalski)|
Gary Jones (Principal Ehrin)
Gaalen Engen (Pastor)
|Parker||Thaddeus McCants||Eean Cochran|
|Ms. Meyers / Danielle / Officer Sitz||Cicily Daniels||Jeannette Bayardelle||Rukiya Bernard (Danielle)|
Lauren McGibbon (Ms. Meyers)
|Fletcher||Tyler Bowman; Jake Heston Miller||Jake Heston Miller||Jason Maybaum|
|Mike||Alan H. Green||David Jennings||Alex Désert|
|Grandpa Gordon / Mr. Blumen / Señor O'Brien||Bobby Smith||Jag Arneja (Señor O'Brien)|
Dave Hurtubise (Mr. Blumen)
|Grandma Helene / Mrs. Luckenbill / Mrs. Time||Sherri L. Edelen||Mary Jo McConnell||Paula Burrows (Mrs. Luckenbill)|
Jocelyne Loewen (Mrs. Time)
|Hannah||Shayna Blass||Sumi Yu|
|Gretchen||Katie Ladner||Jennafer Newberry|
|Savannah||Storm Lever||Jessie Hooker||Dara Renee|
|Adam||Jason Gotay||Chris Ramirez||Ricky He|
|Karl Carlson||Isaiah Lehtinen|
|Monica Yang||Jennifer LaPorte|
The Variety reviewer called the Signature Theatre production a "delightfully spunky musical... Delivered at a lively pace.
Blickenstaff reprises her role as the mother, Katherine, while Cozi Zuehlsdorff stars as the daughter, Ellie. Carpenter adapted the musical as a teleplay, while Kitt and Yorkey oversaw the music and lyrics. The TV adaptation was produced by Susan Cartsonis and Thomas Schumacher.
- Harris, Paul (October 26, 2016). "D.C. Theater Review: 'Freaky Friday,' The Musical"". Variety.
- Rothstein, Mervyn (October 4, 2016). "What To Expect from Freaky Friday the Musical". Playbill. Retrieved October 24, 2018.
- Gioia, Michael (October 4, 2016). "Freaky Friday, With Emma Hunton and Heidi Blickenstaff, Begins Performances". Playbill. Retrieved October 24, 2018.
- Clement, Olivia (January 31, 2017). ""La Jolla 'Freaky Friday' Begins Jan. 31". Playbill. Retrieved January 7, 2019.
- Clement, Olivia. "La Jolla 'Freaky Friday' Begins Jan. 31" Playbill, January 31, 2017
- Smith, Jeff. " 'Freaky Friday' at La Jolla Playhouse" sandiegoreader.com, February 13, 2017
- Gans, Andrew. "Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey’s 'Freaky Friday' Will Get Studio Recording" Playbill, November 21, 2016
- Abelman, Bob. "Theater review: Cleveland Play House’s 'Freaky Friday' doesn’t rise above movies’ material" The News-Herald, May 1, 2017
- Freaky Friday clevelandplayhouse.com, retrieved November 27, 2017
- Freaky Friday alleytheatre.org, retrieved November 27, 2017
- "Disney's 'Freaky Friday' musical touches hearts and ear drums at Alley Theatre" abc13.com, June 9, 2017
- Bustin, Jeremy. "BWW Previews: Alet Taylor and Dani Apple Star in DISNEY'S FREAKY FRIDAY at Virginia Musical Theatre, December 1-3" broadwayworld.com, November 27, 2017
- Freaky Friday allevents.in, accessed March 3, 2019
- Gans, Andrew (June 27, 2018). "Freaky Friday Musical Will Be Available for Licensing Through MTI". Playbill. Retrieved August 16, 2018.
- Snetiker, Mark (February 6, 2017). "Hear three songs from Disney's Freaky Friday musical — exclusive". ew.com. Retrieved January 7, 2019.
- " Freaky Friday Recording" allmusic.com, retrieved November 27, 2017
- "Cast Members". Signature Theatre. February 22, 2017.
- Biegelsen, Becky (February 22, 2017). "The Cast" (PDF). La Jolla Playhouse.
- "Review". indiewire.com.
- Hemmert, Kylie (June 13, 2018). "Freaky Friday Gets a Music-Driven Modern Adaptation for Disney Channel". Comingsoon. Retrieved June 14, 2018.
- Pedersen, Erik (29 September 2017). "'Freaky Friday' Musical Set At Disney Channel Starring Heidi Blickenstaff & Cozi Zuehlsdorff". Deadline. Penske Business Media, LLC. Retrieved 30 September 2017.