|Birth name||Bo Gunnar Åkerström|
|Also known as||Fred Åkerström|
January 27, 1937|
|Died||August 9, 1985
|Associated acts||Cornelis Vreeswijk
Fred Åkerström (27 January 1937 – 9 August 1985) was a Swedish folk guitarist and singer particularly noted for his interpretations of Carl Michael Bellman's music, and his own work of the typically Swedish song segment named visa. These songs, visor, are traditionally very narrative and the performance is "acted" to some degree. The singer is in context a vissångare, a troubadour character. Åkerström was also known for his actor's interpretations of Bellman's 18th century material, and his unusual ability to reach deep bass notes (especially on his interpretation of Bellman's song Glimmande nymf).
Åkerström was born in Stockholm to a family of meager circumstances, which would later influence the social, economic, and political criticisms found in many of his works and public appearances. He may have aspired at an early age to become a vissångare, being a devoted listener to Ruben Nilson. After performances at the famous vispråmen "Storken," he released his first record in 1963, Fred Åkerström sjunger Ruben Nilson. He was a contemporary of Cornelis Vreeswijk, and the two were at times very close, touring together and releasing a joint record, early in their careers. He became an alcoholic in later life. His daughter CajsaStina Åkerström is also a singer.
- Fred Åkerström sjunger Ruben Nilson (1963)
- Fred besjunger Frida (1964), visor by Birger Sjöberg
- Visor och oförskämdheter (1964), concert tour recordings with Cornelis Vreeswijk och Ann-Louise Hanson
- Visor i närheten (1965) visor by Fritz Sjöström
- Doktor Dolittle (1965)
- Dagsedlar åt kapitalismen (1967)
- Fred sjunger Bellman (1969) Bellman interpretations
- Mera Ruben Nilson (1971)
- Två tungor (1972), includes song "Jag ger dig min morgon"
- Glimmande nymf (1974) with Trio CMB (guitar, flute, cello) Bellman interpretations
- Bananskiva (1976)
- Vila vid denna källa (1977) with Trio CMB (guitar, flute, cello) Bellman interpretations
- Sjöfolk och landkrabbor (1978)
- Åkerströms blandning (1982)
- https://www.flashback.info/archive/index.php/t-228727.html Fred Åkerström bio on www.flashback.info (in Swedish)
- "CajsaStina Åkerström om att växa upp med en alkoholiserad pappa - Malou Efter tio". TV4. Retrieved 16 March 2016.