Fred (footballer, born 1993)
|Full name||Frederico Rodrigues de Paula Santos|
|Date of birth||5 March 1993|
|Place of birth||Belo Horizonte, Brazil|
|Height||1.69 m (5 ft 7 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17:13, 14 September 2019 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 12 October 2018
Frederico Rodrigues de Paula Santos (born 5 March 1993), known as Fred (Brazilian Portuguese: [ˈfɾɛd(ʒ)i]), is a Brazilian professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for English Premier League club Manchester United and the Brazil national team.
Fred started his career at Brazilian club Internacional, where he won the Campeonato Gaúcho twice. On 26 June 2013, he signed for Ukrainian club Shakhtar Donetsk, where he won 10 trophies, including four Ukrainian Premier League titles. In 2018, Fred signed for Manchester United.
Fred was part of Brazil's squad for the 2015 Copa América in Chile, starting in their final two Group C matches as they reached the quarter-finals. He was named in Brazil's final 23-man squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
On 26 June 2013, Fred signed for Ukrainian team Shakhtar Donetsk in a deal worth €15 million. He scored two goals on his competitive debut in the Ukrainian Super Cup, helping Shakhtar to a 3–1 victory over Chornomorets Odesa.
On 5 June 2018, Premier League club Manchester United reached an agreement to sign Fred. He agreed a five-year contract with the option to extend for a further year. On 11 August, he made his club debut in a 2–1 victory over Leicester City in their first league game of the season.
Fred tested positive for the diuretic hydrochlorothiazide in a sample collected during the 2015 Copa América. On 14 December 2015, he received a one-year suspension from CONMEBOL, which was made effective worldwide by FIFA on 5 February 2016 and backdated to 27 June 2015. After he played the first half of the 2016–17 season, the World Anti-Doping Agency appealed a demand for a two-year suspension to as well be backdated to June 2015, which Fred began to serve in March 2017.
- As of match played 14 September 2019
|Club||Season||League||National Cup[a]||League Cup[b]||Continental[c]||Other[d]||Total|
|Shakhtar Donetsk||2013–14||Ukrainian Premier League||23||2||3||0||—||4||0||1||2||31||4|
|2014–15||Ukrainian Premier League||22||1||6||0||—||7||0||0||0||35||1|
|2015–16||Ukrainian Premier League||12||2||0||0||—||10||0||1||0||23||2|
|2016–17||Ukrainian Premier League||18||2||0||0||—||10||1||1||0||29||3|
|2017–18||Ukrainian Premier League||26||3||3||0||—||8||1||0||0||37||4|
|Manchester United||2018–19||Premier League||17||1||1||0||1||0||6||0||—||25||1|
- As of match played 12 October 2018
- Ukrainian Premier League: 2013–14, 2016–17, 2017–18
- Ukrainian Cup: 2015–16, 2016–17, 2017–18
- Ukrainian Super Cup: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017
- "FIFA extends sanction for anti-doping rule violation against Frederico Rodrigues de Paula Santos". FIFA. 5 February 2016. Retrieved 8 February 2018.
- "2018 FIFA World Cup Russia: List of players: Brazil" (PDF). FIFA. 10 June 2018. p. 4. Retrieved 11 June 2018.
- Fred at Soccerway. Retrieved 16 April 2019.
- "Shakhtar signed a contract with Fred". FC Shakhtar Donetsk. 26 June 2013. Archived from the original on 29 June 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "8 Fred – Shakhtar". FC Shakhtar Donetsk. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "Man Utd: Fred deal agreed and Diogo Dalot set to sign". BBC Sport. 5 June 2018. Retrieved 6 June 2018.
- "Brazil's Luiz Gustavo to miss Copa America due to knee surgery". ESPN FC. 2 June 2015. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- "World Cup: Neymar named in Brazil's 23-man squad". BBC Sport. 14 May 2018. Retrieved 6 June 2018.
- "Суперкубок уезжает в Донецк" [Super Cup goes to Donetsk] (in Russian). FC Shaktar Donetsk. 10 July 2013. Archived from the original on 22 July 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Six Shakhtar Donetsk players refusing to return to Ukraine due to conflict". The Guardian. London. 21 July 2014. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- "Shakhtar Donetsk-Roma – Slick Shakhtar come from behind to beat Roma". UEFA. 21 February 2018. Retrieved 22 February 2018.
- "Fred is officially a Red!". Manchester United F.C. 21 June 2018. Retrieved 21 June 2018.
- "The perfect midfield partner? Paul Pogba rates Fred's Manchester United debut". Metro. Retrieved 11 August 2018.
- "Fred tests positive in anti-doping screening taken during Copa America". ESPN FC. 27 July 2015.
- "Younger Fred banned by CONMEBOL for a year over drug use". Reuters. Rio de Janeiro. 15 December 2015.
- "Полузащитник "Шахтера" Фред дисквалифицирован до июля" ["Shakhtar" midfielder Fred disqualified until July]. Segodnya (in Russian). Kiev. 13 March 2017.
- "Fred". National Football Teams. Retrieved 12 October 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Frederico Rodrigues Santos.|