Fredric John Baur, Jr.
June 14, 1918
|Died||May 4, 2008 (aged 89)|
|Occupation||Organic chemist, food storage technician|
|Known for||Designing and patenting the Pringles packaging|
|Spouse(s)||Elaine McCleery–Baur birth 1 Dec 1921 death 1 Dec 1921|
Fredric John Baur (June 14, 1918 – May 4, 2008) was an American organic chemist and food storage technician notable for designing and patenting the Pringles packaging. Baur filed for a patent for the tubular Pringles container and for the method of packaging the curved, stacked chips in the container in 1966, and it was granted in 1971. His other accomplishments included development of frying oils and freeze-dried ice cream. Baur was a graduate of the University of Toledo in Toledo, Ohio and received both his Masters and PhD degrees at The Ohio State University. He also served in the U.S. Navy as an aviation physiologist. He was a resident of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Some of Baur's ashes were buried in a Pringles can at his request. Baur's children said they honored his request to bury him in one of the cans by placing part of his cremated remains in an Original flavour Pringles container in his grave in suburban Springfield Township. The rest of his remains were placed in an urn buried along with the can, with some placed in another urn and given to one of Baur's grandchildren.
- Baur, F. J.; Lange, W. (1951). "Directed Interesterification in Glycerides. III. The Synthesis of Single-Fatty Acid 1,3-Diglycerides". Journal of the American Chemical Society. 73 (8): 3926–3928. doi:10.1021/ja01152a109.
- Russell, Robert M.; Yeager, Robert; Baur, Fred; Dupre, James R. (November 1976). "Bird Problems and Food Storage and Processing Facilities". Bird Control Seminars Proceedings. Lincoln: University of Nebraska.
- Baur, F. J., ed. (1984). Insect Management for Food and Storage and Processing. St. Paul, MN: American Association of Cereal Chemists. ISBN 0913250384.
- Hutchinson, Bill (2008-06-03). "Inventor of Pringles chip can, Fredric Baur, to be buried in 1969 one". NY Daily News. Retrieved 2008-06-04.
- Goodman, Rebecca (2008-05-31). "Fredric J. Baur was designer of P&G's Pringles container". The Cincinnati Enquirer. Archived from the original on 5 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-01.
- The Marketing Doctor (June 4, 2008). "Marketing Doctor Says: Take Your Brand Seriously! Frederic J. Bauer Did". Marketing Doctor Blog. Archived from the original on 2 June 2013. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- Jeremy Caplan (4 June 2008). "The Man Buried in a Pringles Can". TIME.com. Retrieved 3 March 2016.