|Full name||Fernand Bonsor|
|Date of birth||1862|
|Place of birth||France|
|Date of death||February 1932|
|Place of death||?|
|Rugby union career|
Fernand Bonsor was born in 1862 in France, the son of Robert and Louise Bonsor. His father was a dye manufacturer. Fernand, his elder brother Robert, younger brother Morris, and both parents, were born in France, though British subjects. The family moved to Shipley sometime after 1871 and Fernand soon became known as Fred. In his latter teens he studied for the Civil Service examination although his profession by his late twenties seemed to follow his father into industry, being a wholesale bottler and agent. During July–September 1885 he married Fannie Milnes of Halifax in Bradford district.
Rugby union career
Bonsor made his international début on Saturday 2 January 1886 at the Rectory Field, Blackheath in the England versus Wales match. Of the six matches he played for his national side he was on the winning side on 3 occasions. He played his final match for England on Saturday 16 February 1889 at Rectory Field, Blackheath in the England versus New Zealand Natives match.
Change of Code
When Bradford converted from the rugby union code to the rugby league code on Thursday 29 August 1895, Fred Bonsor would have been approximately 33 years of age. Consequently, he may have been both a rugby union and rugby league footballer for Bradford.
- Skipton RFC website THE BIRTH AND DEVELOPMENT OF SKIPTON RFC
- Profile on espnscrum.com
- Williams, Graham; Lush, Peter; Farrar, David (2009). The British Rugby League Records Book. London League. p. 178. ISBN 978-1-903659-49-6.
- Census Returns of England and Wales, 1881. Kew, Surrey, England: The National Archives of the UK (TNA): Public Record Office (PRO), 1881. , Class: RG11; Piece: 4474; Folio: 72; Page: 33; GSU roll: 1342071.
- Census Returns of England and Wales, 1891. Kew, Surrey, England: The National Archives of the UK (TNA): Public Record Office (PRO), 1891.
- FreeBMD. England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837–1915 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006. Original data: General Register Office. England and Wales Civil Registration Indexes. London, England: General Register Office.
- Search for "Bonsor" at rugbyleagueproject.org
- Biography of Arthur Budd with an England team photograph including Fred Bonsor
- Photograph "Bradford's Yorkshire Rugby Union Cup winning side" at rugbyleagueheritageproject.com
- Photograph "Fred Bonsor" at rugbyleagueheritageproject.com
- Photograph "Bradford (F.C.) c. 1888" at rugbyleagueheritageproject.com
|English National Rugby Union Captain