|Awards||Brussels International Fantastic Film Festival Silver Raven Award|
Fred Dekker (born April 9, 1959) is an American screenwriter and film director best known for his cult classic horror comedy films Night of the Creeps and The Monster Squad (written with Shane Black). He contributed the story ideas for House (1986) and Ricochet (1991), and also directed and co-wrote RoboCop 3 with Frank Miller.
One of his earliest movies was a short film he made in college titled Starcruisers, directed in the early 1980s.
Life and career
In 1983, film director Steve Miner hired Dekker to write the first draft for Godzilla: King of the Monsters in 3D, a project which went unproduced. Dekker's first success came in 1986: a 15-page Twilight Zone inspired script & an original story that was expanded into a full screenplay by writer Ethan Wiley for what would become the 1986 comedy horror film House. The film was nominated for the International Fantasy Film Award at the Fantasporto Film Festival, and earned its director Steve Miner the Critics' Award at the Avoriaz Fantastic Film Festival. That same year, Dekker made his directorial debut with Night of the Creeps, the script for which was written in only a week. The film, an homage to B-movies of the 1950s and 60s, has since become a cult classic.
His next film The Monster Squad was co-written with his friend and long-time collaborator Shane Black. It is an homage to the Universal "monster cycle" of films produced between the early 1930s to mid-1950s. Like his previous film, it has since become a cult classic. Dekker subsequently wrote five episodes of the Tales from the Crypt television series, and directed one. He co-wrote the neo-noir Ricochet and the spy comedy If Looks Could Kill. His return to the director's chair came in 1992 when he directed the third installment in the RoboCop series, co-writing the screenplay with comic book writer Frank Miller. The film, which had its release delayed by a year due to the bankruptcy of Orion Pictures, received negative reviews from critics and audiences. Dekker has since gone on to accept blame for the film's negative reception.
Dekker worked as a script doctor, making uncredited contributions to films including Titan A.E. and Lethal Weapon 4. He also wrote three episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise in the early 2000s. In 2015, after a lengthy hiatus, he returned to filmmaking by co-writing a television pilot, Edge, for Amazon Studios, with Black. He co-wrote the 2018 film The Predator with Black, who also directed the film.
|1983||Godzilla: King of the Monsters in 3D||Unproduced screenplay|
|Night of the Creeps||Story|
|1987||House II: The Second Story||Story|
|The Monster Squad||Co-written with Shane Black|
|1989-92||Tales from the Crypt||4 episodes|
|1991||Ricochet||Story co-written with Menno Meyjes|
|If Looks Could Kill||Story|
|1993||RoboCop 3||Co-written with Frank Miller|
|1995||Jonny Quest||Unproduced screenplay|
|1998||Lethal Weapon 4||Uncredited|
|2001-02||Star Trek: Enterprise||4 episodes|
|2015||Edge||Co-written with Shane Black|
- "Fred Dekker: Life at 24 Frames Per Second | Moxie Sozo". Moxie Sozo. January 24, 2017. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- "WORDPLAY/Special Notice". www.wordplayer.com. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on March 13, 2010. Retrieved February 28, 2010.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Simon. "Roger Cobb's House - The Official Site for the House Movies". www.rogercobbshouse.com. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- Konow, David (March 27, 2014). "The 3D Godzilla Movie That Almost Was". Tested. Retrieved July 1, 2018.
- "Ocala Star-Banner - Google News Archive Search". news.google.com. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- Dean, Rob. "It's the 30th anniversary of Night Of The Creeps? Thrill me". News. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- Knight, Jacob (June 20, 2016). "Over My Dead Body: Fred Dekker's NIGHT OF THE CREEPS". Birth.Movies.Death. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- "The Lasting Legacy of 'The Monster Squad' - Bloody Disgusting". bloody-disgusting.com. August 14, 2017. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- "Fred Dekker [Interview]". TRAINWRECK'D SOCIETY. September 23, 2013. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- Mendelson, Scott (November 25, 2015). "The 5 Best Sylvester Stallone Movies That Aren't 'Rocky' Or 'Rambo'". Forbes. Retrieved July 1, 2018.
- Fred Dekker