Fred Emanuel Foldvary (born May 11, 1946) is a lecturer in economics at San Jose State University, California, and a research fellow at The Independent Institute. He previously taught at Santa Clara University and other colleges. He is also a commentator and senior editor for the online journal The Progress Report and an associate editor of the online journal Econ Journal Watch. He lives in the San Francisco Bay Area in California.
In his PhD dissertation (George Mason University, 1992), "Public Goods and Private Communities", he applied the theory of Public goods and Industrial organization to refute the concept of market failure, including case studies of several types of private communities. His research interests include ethics, governance, land economics and public finance.
His support of geolibertarianism (a libertarian ideology which embraces the Georgist philosophy of property) and his advocacy of civil liberties and free markets have gained him a place of high visibility in the geolibertarian movement. In 2000, he ran for Congress in California's 9th District as a Libertarian. He received 3.3% of the total vote to finish third among the four candidates on the ballot.
Foldvary has written on topics including: ending slavery in chocolate plantations; a green tax shift to protect the environment while enhancing the economy; reforming democracy with small-group voting; and solving territorial conflict with confederations and the payment of rent for occupied land. The three basic themes of Foldvary's writing are the universal ethic, cellular democracy, and public revenue from land rent.
- The Soul of Liberty (1980) The Gutenberg Press. ISBN 0-9603872-1-8
- Public Goods and Private Communities (1994) Edward Elgar Publishing ISBN 1-85278-951-4
- Beyond Neoclassical Economics (1996) Edward Elgar Publishing ISBN 1-85898-395-9
- Dictionary of Free Market Economics (1998) Edward Elgar Publishing ISBN 1-85898-432-7
- The Half-Life of Policy Rationales: How Technology Affects Old Policy Issues (ed., with Daniel Klein, 2003) ISBN 0-8147-4777-9
- The Depression of 2008 (2007) The Gutenberg Press. ISBN 0-9603872-0-X
- Cellular democracy
- Free banking
- Grassroots democracy
- Green libertarianism
- Land value tax
- Libertarian Party of California
- Libertarian perspectives on natural resources
- Foldvary, Fred E. (2002) "Geoism and Libertarianism", www.ProgressReport.org
- "Fred Foldvary 2000 - Libertarian for Congress". Hometown.aol.com. Retrieved 2014-10-15.
- Foldvary, Fred E. (1998) "Will There Be a Recession?" at the Wayback Machine (archived November 23, 2001), www.ProgressReport.org
- "Fred Foldvary". Foldvary.net. Retrieved 2013-03-26.
- Research Fellow, Fred E. Foldvary
- Curriculum Vitae, Fred E. Foldvary
- Fred E. Foldvary, Biographical Sketch
- Chocolate Worker Slavery
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Fred Foldvary|
- Fred Foldvary's publications
- Editorials by Fred Foldvary, from The Progress Report archives