||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015)|
Gitelman has won one world championship, five North American Bridge Championships, and a gold medal in the 2002 IOC Grand Prix. He was a runner-up in the 1995 Bermuda Bowl as a member of the Canada open team. In 2005 he was named Personality of the Year by the International Bridge Press Association.
He is well known for the educational software he produces through his company Bridge Base Inc. His most recent project is Bridge Base Online (BBO), which he began in 2001, for online bridge play. BBO is one of the most popular bridge playing sites.
Gitelman was born in Toronto, Ontario. He was a member of the Canadian youth and later open international teams before he moved to Las Vegas, Nevada. He resides there with his wife, Sheri, also a well-known bridge player.
Bill Gates selected Gitelman as his personal bridge coach.
Creativity at the table
Gitelman is sometimes recognized for his creativity at the bridge table. In one tournament he discarded an Ace, as a signal to his partner to not lead that suit. His partner led the remaining logical suit which Gitelman, being void, ruffed.
- Master Class: lessons from the bridge table (Toronto: Master Point Press, 2005), 207 pp. OCLC 59876220
- Duplicate Bridge at Home: deals & scoring from Fred Gitelman's Bridge Base Online, Mark Horton and Gitelman (Master Point, 2008), 264 pp. – "commentary by Mark Horton" OCLC 222163432
- ACBL Honorary Member of the Year 2005
- IBPA Award (Personality of the Year) 2005
- World Bridge Championships
- Rosenblum (1) 2010
- North American Bridge Championships (6)
- United States Bridge Championships (1)
- Open Team Trials (1) 2005
- Canadian Championships (2)
- National Team Championships (2) 1994, 1995
- Other notable wins:
- Buffett Cup (1) 2006
- IOC Grand Prix (1) 2002
- Forbo-Krommenie Nations Cup (1) 2001
- Cavendish Invitational Teams (1) 2001
- Cavendish Invitational Pairs (1) 2003
- Bermuda Bowl (1) 1995
- World Transnational Open Teams (1) 2000
- World Junior Teams (1) 1991
- North American Bridge Championships (7)
- United States Bridge Championships (2)
- Open Team Trials (2) 2006, 2007
- Other notable 2nd places:
- Forbo-Krommenie Nations Cup (1) 2002
- "GITELMAN Frederick". Athlete Information. SportAccord World Mind Games. December 2011. Retrieved 2015-01-13.
- Francis, Henry G., Editor-in-Chief; Truscott, Alan F., Executive Editor; Francis, Dorthy A., Editor, Sixth Edition (2001). The Official Encyclopedia of Bridge (6th ed.). Memphis, TN: American Contract Bridge League. p. 651. ISBN 0-943855-44-6. OCLC 49606900.
- Fred Gitelman international record at the World Bridge Federation.
- Bridge Kids: Fred Gitleman audio-video interview at YouTube (August 6, 2010)
- Interview at Bridgebum
- Interview by Lisa Bryn Rundle of University of Toronto Magazine, Spring 2011
- "In the Cards – A Conversation with Fred Gitelman" (audio-video), Ideas Roadshow, 2014