In the 1890s, he began working as a black-and-white artist for The Bulletin and The Sydney Mail newspapers. After 1900, he also the Sydney representative for the Graphic magazine of London. Leist's illustrations also were included in books such as the 1902 Commonwealth Annual.
Leist completed numerous paintings during the war and after his war service contributed two large murals for the Australian Exhibition at the British Empire Exhibition held at Wembley in 1924. As a result of these works Leist popularity increased and he gained several commissions from the United States and toured the south west of America, including Texas, New Mexico and Arizona.
Leist is represented in the Art Gallery of New South Wales with ten works as well a representations in several private collections. Many of his paintings as a war artist are in the collection of the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. Some of his portraits are in Parliament House, Canberra.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fred Leist.|
- Rutledge, Martha. (1986). "Leist, Frederick William (Fred) (1873–1945)," Australian Dictionary of Biography Online.
- Reid, John B. (1977). Australian Artists at War, Vol. 1, pp. 14–15.
- "A length in the lead!". The Sydney Mail And New South Wales Advertiser. LXIX, (2082). New South Wales, Australia. 2 June 1900. p. 1283. Retrieved 25 June 2018 – via National Library of Australia.
- "A Modern Tiresias". The Evening News (Sydney) (11, 043). New South Wales, Australia. 1 November 1902. p. 7. Retrieved 25 June 2018 – via National Library of Australia.
- Australian War Memorial (AWM), First World War, official artists
- "Death Of Leading Portrait Painter". The Advertiser (Adelaide). LXXXVII, (26951). South Australia. 19 February 1945. p. 4. Retrieved 25 June 2018 – via National Library of Australia.
- "OBITUARY MR. F. W. LEIST". The Sydney Morning Herald (33, 434). New South Wales, Australia. 19 February 1945. p. 4. Retrieved 25 June 2018 – via National Library of Australia.
- Reid, John B. (1977), Australian Artists at War: Compiled from the Australian War Memorial Collection. Volume 1. 1885–1925; Vol. 2 1940–1970., South Melbourne, Victoria: Sun Books., ISBN 978-0-7251-0254-8; OCLC 4035199}}
- Rutledge, Martha. (1986), "Leist, Frederick William (Fred) (1873–1945),"] Australian Dictionary of Biography, Vol. 10. Carlton, Victoria: Melbourne University Press.