|Born||Estevan, Saskatchewan, Canada|
|Origin||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Website||Fred Mandel on Myspace|
Mandel became involved in music from an early age. He started playing the piano at 4 and picked up the guitar aged 8. In 1964, at the age of 11, his family moved to Toronto where he became immersed in the local music scene.
Mandel made his first appearance on record courtesy of Domenic Troiano (whose band he was in at the time). Troiano was invited to record on Alice Cooper's first solo record and got Mandel to play keyboards on the record. This led to Alice Cooper inviting Mandel to join his live band. Mandel did this for four years (1977-1980) progressing from keyboards to lead guitar and finally ending up working as the musical director.
In the 1980s Mandel was asked to perform with Queen on their 1982 tour supporting their album Hot Space (the Hot Space Tour). He struck up a good working relationship with the band and was later invited to be a contributing musician on their 1984 album The Works (thus becoming the first significant guest performer on a Queen record). Mandel performed on 'Man on the Prowl' and three of the album's singles, "Radio Ga Ga", "Hammer to Fall", and "I Want to Break Free" (the famous synthesizer solo on the latter, often mistaken for guitar, is played by Mandel on a Roland Jupiter 8 keyboard). Mandel also played on two Queen spinoffs: Brian May's 1983 mini album Star Fleet Project and Freddie Mercury's 1985 album Mr. Bad Guy.
In 2013 Mandel worked with legendary thrash band Anthrax on the track Smokin', originally by Boston, ultimately released on Anthrax's album Anthems, an EP principally featuring covers from some of the band's favorite acts of the 1970s, along with two versions of "Crawl", a song from their previous studio album.
- The Domenic Troiano Band: Burnin' at the Stake (1977)
- Alice Cooper: The Alice Cooper Show (1977, live album)
- Alice Cooper: From the Inside (1978)
- Pink Floyd: The Wall (1979)
- Alice Cooper: Flush the Fashion (1980)
- Brian May + Friends: Star Fleet Project (1983)
- Queen: The Works (1984)
- Freddie Mercury: Mr. Bad Guy (1985)
- Elton John: Ice on Fire (1985)
- Elton John: Leather Jackets (1986)
- Bernie Taupin: Tribe (1987)
- Elton John: Reg Strikes Back (1988)
- Elton John: Sleeping with the Past (1989)
- Supertramp: Some Things Never Change (1997)
- Queen: Queen on Fire – Live at the Bowl (2004; DVD bonus material)
- Philip Sayce: Peace Machine (2009)
- Anthrax: Anthems (2013)
- Roadie (1980)